Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Honeycomb Radiator

I'm looking for a supplier of honeycomb radiator. I need for a Rugby 1928.
From already thank you very much for the information.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/Nestor_Wynen/library/?view=recent&page=1

Nestor

Where Are You From? Argentina

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 1928

Re: Honeycomb Radiator

Here's a post that Rick Botti posted:

Rick Botti
Jan 4, 2011 - 11:25PM

Quote Reply Souce for honey comb radiator cores

http://www.maineradiator.com/jaz_mar_antique_frame.html

Maine Auto Radiator
PO Box 1916
14 Forrestal St.
Lewiston, Maine 04241-1916
207 784-0189

American Honeycomb Manufacturing
171 Highway 34
Homdel, NJ 07733
718 948-7772

I used a place in England. If these don't work out, I can dig out its address.

Vince

Where Are You From? San Francisco area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Vince, Thank you so much.
Nestor

Where Are You From? Argentina

Do You own a car built by Durant? Rugby 1928

A number of years ago I did some research into the Honeycomb Radiator supply situation. After contacting a number of suppliers including one in New Zealand, I found out that at that time the only one making the honeycomb cores was in England and that all the other companies bought their cores from them. I contacted the Main Radiator company as well as "The Brassworks" in California who advised that our style used on most of our cars is called the "Auburn" style and they can be repaired or remade. I was quoted a price around $1,200 for a rebuild and costs going up from there if they could not use what they were provided. I'm sure the cost is more today. In talking with "The Brass Works" I found they have done several Durant product radiator restorations. I'm not sure about the Maine company and their work. I'm going to have to get mine rebuilt soon, so I'd be very interested in learning what you find out.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

I purchased a new Honey Comb radiator from a business in Brisbane Australia for $1140 Australian. He makes a great job of it with a machine.

Where Are You From? Armidale NSW Australia.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Durant Rugby

Would LOVE to see pics and details of the building process!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

I should of done this first, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,
So, from here I go to the ole You Tube and dial up "Honeycomb Radiator" and find this excellent video. http://www.ftrs.com.au/
Copy and drag this link for a great tutorial that may be of interest to us all!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

American honeycomb radiator in NJ I believe is no longer in business- phone # not in service

Where Are You From? Staten Island NY

Do You own a car built by Durant? ( 3 ) 1923 Star Touring cars

Quite a process to make these for really a small market. Now I see why the repair is so expensive, but if ya want to be authentic then you gotta go back to the way it was made originally.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

We will be visiting Brassworks in Paso Robles, CA on the Spring Fling Tour in April. Expect a full report after that.

Where Are You From? San Francisco area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Just had my 1923 Durant Star Car radiator rebuilt with a new Honeycomb core that came from England at The Brassworks in Paso Robles, this last November. They disassembled, fixed a dent in top tank, rebuilt the bottom tank, new honeycomb core and painted black for $1938.00 + $155.04 tax for a total of $2093.03. Now I live 2 hours away so I dropped off and picked up radiator so no shipping charges. They left the orginial drain out and gave it to me but recommended I use the new one they provided. WARNING....before you remove old radiator measure the space between the fan nut with cotter pin and the core. After doing mine they just might request it already..it is a long story. The core is ordered from England, is the Auburn style and they have to order it in millimeters and it is not the exact same width front to back as Durant's orginial core. If memory serves the 50mm fit mine but it is a finger width away from fan nut. I am very pleased with the work and the care taken and plan to use them again for a any future Vintage car rebuild. Another thing is when you get it to them and decide what is to be done it is put in in line and it may take longer to get to than getting the core from England and doing the work. They are one busy place.

Where Are You From? California

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1923 Star Car from Oakland factory

The Durant Motors Automobile Club