Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Honeycomb Radiator

Rick, I found my best value on evapo-rust by buying the concentrate at ebay stores...An eight oz. bottle makes one gallon, free shipping at 15.90ea. and you will need 2 bottles...

What I found interesting was that the core was so plugged that it only took 4 quarts to initially fill the radiator to about 3/4" above header plate, then after about 2 1/2 days perculating and ocasionally topping off I drained out just over 5 quarts of evapo-rust....One thing to keep in mind is that all that rust and crud is a natural stop leak on these old radiators...In my case after perking for about a day there was a couple of seeps that showed up, so when I finished cleaning I drained out the evapo-rust and gave it a backflush with clean water then added a pinch of alum-a-seal and circulated that by purging for about 10 more minutes then put 3-lbs air pressure and no seaping, then I gave the radiator one last flush.....Mike, now I'm trying to figure out what I can spend that $2,500 dollars on that I don't have.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes , several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club