Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Homemade Doodlebug/Spray rig built from Durant or Star, looking for info

Re read your mail and you say the generator with shaft to water pump is drivers side of engine. Assuming left hand drive car the engine appears to be a 22A used 1930 - 32. Prior 6 cyl is reverse and passenger side. The 22A will have a fuel pump passenger side as well as the manifold / carb. Pre 30 vacuum tanks used. 22A will have a serial number passenger side of engine at back just under the manifold. It doesn't have the big brass plate the pre 30 engines do saying Durant / Star, serial number, which plant and made by Continental Motors. Again, both head and block will have 22A castings. Actually 22AA and three other numbers.
Fuel pump for 22A is different to the W8 (4cyl) Arm to cam shaft is different angle. Rest of pumps parts work in either. Water pump same 4 or 6 1930 - 1932 Durant, Rugby, Frontenac.

Yes pic's will be a big help.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Thanks you very much, your information is very helpful. I was able to upload engine pics to photobucket, let's see if this link works:

http://s464.photobucket.com/user/John12784/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1

Hope you can see them. Thanks!

Where Are You From? Akron N.Y.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Your search - http://s464.photobucket.com/user/John12784/library/Mobile%20Uploads?sort=3&page=1 - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
•Make sure that all words are spelled correctly.
•Try different keywords.
•Try more general keywords.
•Try fewer keywords.

OK, I just cut and pasted the address in my browser and it went to the pics...maybe you can see them now, and thanks again for you help!

Where Are You From? Akron, NY

John:
The photobucket pictures show that what you have is a 22AA engine, and the hood with the spears indicates that the hood is off a 1930 Durant 6 14
You would need to get a starter from a 1930 - 31 Durant 6 cylinder engine.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac made by Dominion Motors Ltd., Leaside, Ont.

Thanks Gord! I purchased a starter that supposedly fits a 1930-31 6 14 Durant, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks guys for the advice, I will keep you all posted...

-John

Where Are You From? Akron, NY

Well I tried both cut and paste, copy / paste in Google, Bing and Photobucket and all three said no such thing.
As Gord has said its a 1930 614 with spear hood. Starting motors off a 1930, 31 and 32 Durant, 1931 E618 and 1932 E670 and 685 Frontenac plus 1931 675 and 32 680 De Vaux.
Autolight MAB-4307. I also see on the 1931 chart MAJ - 4001 which seems to be also the 1930 614. Says the MAJ-4307 was used after engine number 21501. Bendex is EB-49 on MAJ-4001 and EB-64 on MAB 4037

Carb can be a W8A Tillotson or Stromberg U2 on the 30 22AA and if you are saying the 4 cyl is identical to the 6 cyl it must be a W8A and carb is Stromberg U 1 1/8.

Well holy Durant .. it does work deleting all in IE search box and putting the info there instead. First time I have experienced that rather than just use search. Red spear hood and coil mounted on the head. To the right of the coil on the block are 4 raised castings. That's where the disposable oil canister was mounted horizontally. On the W8 its vertical above the generator. Not enough space with 2 less cylinders.

photo 188_zpsvjs692pn.jpg

photo 206_zpssbuthkdv.jpg

photo 194_zpsbv0cpd06.jpg

And there is a plate on the 22AA. Look very carefully between carb and exhaust down pipe on the block and there will be a long thin plate. I didn't know there was one until a few weeks ago and checked my 22AA. Sure enough.

The starter I bought appears to say MAJ-4007 on it. Hopefully it'll work! I am fortunate to find help with this, thanks again guys.I have a couple older 20's Chevy and Ford doodlebugs, but this one is my latest project. I will be going to pick it up this week, I'll look for casting numbers when I get it and update you.

Another chart says MAJ-4007 so it seems you are good to go.

Nothing is straight forward with our vehicles. They were assembled cars and each plant seemed to do their own thing for same model. Then in Canada we Canadianized them. We have been criticized as using wrong parts on same vehicle but not so, the aftermarkets / manuals bear out what we used US didn't and vice versa.

Ford A's were judged to be wrong the same way for bumper medallions and Robertson screws used here but slotted screws used US, in the US at judging events. Owners lost points because of it. Judges finally woke up on the A's when it was proved each side of the border used different parts.

A lot of the Canadian cars used Robertson screws and there is a forum item where a DMAC member in the US was restoring a Canadian Durant wanted to know where he could get the square slotted (Robertson) screws. Anywhere screws are sold. Seems US still hasn't Robertson screws. I much prefer those in everyday life to work with.

Update...turns out the motor is not seized up, and appears to be in good shape inside. Has anyone had any luck with gaskets? I'm in the preliminary search for a head gasket.

Where Are You From? Akron,N.Y.

Keep seeing Olsen's gaskets in various DMAC forums

http://www.olsonsgaskets.com/

OLSON'S GASKETS
3059 Opdal Rd. E.
Port Orchard, WA 98366, USA
Phone: (360) 871-1207
Email: info@olsonsgaskets.com

We are the world's largest supplier of engine gaskets for the "antique" market

You just missed one on Ebay in Jan 311514887300, perhaps. No bids on it so might still have ? That sale says Continental Engine 6 Head Gasket-NORS-22A 25A 26A 26B 30A 32A 40A 41A

That fits our 22A Durant / Frontenac / Rugby, 32A Durant / Frontenac , 40A De Vaux / Continental Ace. Ace engine called 4!A but used the 1931 De Vaux 40A with Hall name ground off. Castings have the 40A and 1931 dates. Engine plate added has 41A.

Where Are You From? Ottawa, Ont

Hello. I'm making progress on my spray rig and located the head gasket for the 22a engine. Has anyone had any luck with clutch parts for these? My clutch looks like it's going to need a throw out bearing.

Any good clutch repair shop should be able to rebuild your clutch with new facings, springs and cleaning up your flywheel,etc.(at least in a major city, any company that handles friction materials, e.g. brake linings.It's a Borg and Beck which should be fairly common) Frank Wittkowski, past club president, may be able to help you with a throwout bearing

Where Are You From? Orygun

Frank may still have clutch linings (facings) for sale I bought off him a few years back for the 22A / 32A / 40A / 41A engines in Durant, Frontenac and De Vaux, plus other makes per Chilton Interchange.

Hello, I'm making progress on my homemade Durant sprayer, does anyone know of a source for a throwout bearing for the clutch?

Where Are You From? Akron NY

Hi John.
Glad your getting another piece of some great American automobile history saved and hopefully running great historic cars . Contact my buddy "George" @ "Old Car Bearings " in North Carolina as he has always come up with any Durant bearing i have ever needed, maybe use a press and push your throw out bearing off the carrier as usually some numbers on the edge. Frontenec bearings work also as Gord sent me a extra one many moons ago thankfully with the missing carrier from Canada for my red 30 Durant 407 4dr i sold to Charlie Spitz.
BTW folks Charlie & i got a AACA ist on that rare 30 Durant 407 on the 1st try, and Charlie has one of those high quality heavy gold plated trophy's and course a AACA 1st number that no one can take away making that car pretty valuable. Hope u drive it and show it some Charlie .
Faithfully
Lance Haynes:relaxed:
San Diego CA

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes a bunch of them

Thank you again for all the help on this. Progress continues and I'm starting to reassemble the engine after disassembling everything, freeing up and cleaning. I'm to the point that I'm ready to put the head on and set the firing order. Would anybody be able to tell me what the firing order is on this engine?

Never mind, I found it by searching through the old threads, thank you!

Unfortunately the starter I bought doesn't fit. Not even close. Any ideas on where on could be obtained?

The Durant Motors Automobile Club