Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Start Up

I am getting ready to start up the D40 for the first time in 45 years. The motor is not seized but needs a number of things. I am planning to buy a Zenith 14544 carburetor to replace the Tilstson. It also needs points, distributer cap, rotor, condenser, plugs and wires. The coil shows 1.6 on the primary and 2900 on the secondary. I have added a little oil to the cylinders and turned them over by crank and I will gravity feed the fuel to start. Questions: Is it the right carb? Can I buy all the ignition parts and carburetor somewhere in Canada and if not where in the US? Do I need to replace the coil? Any other suggestions before I start it up?

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant D40

Re: New Start Up

Hi Jim....

The 14544 carb is what I use on my W-4 W-5 engines. The best pricing is from Automotive Test Systems. Just Google "automotive test systems zenith"

The ignition parts depend on the distributor you have. If the rotor is a tear drop shape, all parts are available from NAPA. If it is a full circle no modern parts are available. You will need to find New Old Stock parts from an antique dealer.

Spark plugs for your 4 cylinder are the same as used in Model A Ford.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Jim, try NAPA Auto Parts: Car Parts and Accessories, since that is near you.
40 Wilson Street West, Perth, ON K7H 2N2
(613) 267-4054

Make sure rotor and distributor cap are bought as a set so they match one another.

You might check CTC in Perth for spark plugs. I got my plugs for the 1932 6 cyl at CTC in Bells Corners right on the floor in pkgs of two. If you have the number of the old they can cross reference to present plugs. Mine were orig Champion C7 and yours were C4. Online replacement for C4 is Champion W16Y

Water pump packing, try the plumber behind the beer store in Perth, on Thomas Ave. He has it by the foot in a tin can.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

I was surprised to find that napa kept those parts but sure enough, I went on line and they are all listed. I do have the teardrop shape rotor. I also didn't know that there was a plumber behind the beer store. Will order the carb today (ouch + 32%). I found a place on line that makes the leather fan belts. Can a standard rubber fan belt be used? I had a closer look at the starter today and the gear that engages the flywheel is badly worn on the end and the cap on the end of it that stops it from spinning has come unwelded. Any idea as to where I might get a replacement. It was suggested to me old tractor part places like Yesterday's Tractors. They used continental engines. Thanks guys, will let you know if it starts.
Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant D40

You bet .. Brankin J P & Sons Ltd 6 Thomas St Perth.

Went to NAPA in Smiths Falls looking for packing and they had no clue what water pump packing was. Not even sure they knew what a water pump was. Place turned me off. So went to TSC nearby and they knew what it was but place on shelf was empty presently. Tried Smith Farm Equipment in Jasper and no luck there but had all sorts of V belts hanging. If I knew size of mine they might be able to match it up. I didn't know the plumber was behind the beer store until someone told me to try there.

As it happened I was on my way home from Brampton, having picked up my inside handles down there, from the lad who owned the 1932 Durant 633 sedan. Didn't trust the Post Office to lose those handles in the mail, they are so scarce, so we drove down to get them. On the way back I stopped and picked up 3 ft of packing. Farms / taps still use packing which is why they had it.

We used to have AC outlet in Bells Corners (now Benson's) and one of the lads who worked there was a Continental fellow we could ask and get parts from.

My 32 has a Kralinato oil canister on the firewall (This one is made in Ont before Kralinator was bought and moved to the US) Tossed this thing on the NAPA counter off Merivale Rd in Nepean and asked for a filter. What the heck is that off of ? Natch I said a Durant. A what ? Long and short of he story is they found a filter that fit it perfectly in their stock.

Very uncertain if Randy has a belt for your car. Haven't been down there a few years now. I know he had T fan belts hanging off the ceiling on one of his buildings. Minakers have been around since 1925 and has used and NOS parts. He crushed 2000 cars in 2006 to keep the enviro boys away from his place and one was a 1931 Durant 614 sedan still on its wire wheels, engine, rad, lights.

If you email Randy he might have starter parts as well. I'm sure he would tell you to bring the old one down and have a look through his starters. Very trusting and leave you to wandered though the buildings and old school buses full of parts.

Minaker Auto Parts Milford Ltd Specializing in hard to get parts.

Address : 3073 Cty Rd 10, Box 100 Milford, Ontario K0K 2P0
Telephone : 613-476-4547
Email : randy@minakersautoparts.ca

Hi Jim.....

I use modern serpentine belts. Just measure the length you need and any good parts store should be able to match up a belt.

Don't know of a replacement for your complete Bednix, but the spring and mounting bolts as well as the special lock washers are the same as used on the Model T Ford.

Interesting that Norm's directions usually reference a beer store!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Ha ha Frank .. I can't stand the taste of beer, like drinking turpentine to me. Don't drink period.

Since the RV trailer park is a few miles from Perth we have been going to Perth for groceries since the 70's, my late wife, Diana, since 1956. The Scout Camp I looked after every week end for years is other side of Perth. So yes I know where beer store is . One of my cubs from here now owns the Independent Store in Perth.

There you go again, pushing Ford parts on our cars. Too bad Billy didn't get Ford in 1908 to add to GM.

That is why I am surprised that I didn't know about the plumbing shop as I have been there before. Thanks for the phone number and email for Minakers. It will be worth a call and a trip. I will also check out the serpentine belt. If you are interested in what I am working on, check www.jimmys-durant.com. I was inspired by a new Durant owner in pickering who just bought a 1928. He had put info on face book which I liked. When I tried to get on, I ended up with my own blog site. Shows how computer literate I am. I think it will be a fun way to keep a record of my project. I appreciate all the help.
Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant D40, WWW.Jimmys-Durant.com

The Bendix used in out cars was used by many different auto/engine manufacturers. Any starter service person specializing on vintage cars will have the correct one. I used:

Richard Premenato
Fremont Auto & Electric
(510) 793-2340

He was downsizing the last time I used him but hopefully the number still works.

I use a small serpentine belt like Frank. Just turn it inside out and run it on the backside.

Vince

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Thanks Vince. I'll check it out.
Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Durant D40, WWW.Jimmys-Durant.com

Richard did my 29 and 31 Durants. He sold Fremont Auto Electric and retired.
Now he's back rebuilding antique car starters and generators.

Richard Gabrielson
pammiesuesguy@yahoo.com

530-475-3213

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

The Durant Motors Automobile Club