Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Exhaust seems over hot!

Gentlemen:

We finally have the 1922 A22 Durant running. The engine seems to heat up very quickly, and the exhaust tube( still using the original backbone with a new exhaust tube inserted) seems to get overly hot after a few minutes of running.
Also the overhead valve train (well oiled) and head tinkles when shut off as the heat disapates.

Do any of the other A22's work this way.

We have not driven the car on the road as yet as it is not appraised, licenced,or insured.

Is this normal with the A22?

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd., Leaside, Ontario

Re: Exhaust seems over hot!

Gord, I'm sure you already have but recheck the timing. A retarded spark will cause excessive overheating, more so than a lean fuel mixture.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tx

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Gord,

Haven't had any heating problem with mine, although when running it hard I might get an occasional popping noise, I assumed it was from what we used to call a "carbon glow" or pre-ignition?....Have you checked for coolant circulation? Those waterpump impellars on the A-22 are great for rusting away to nothing....Oh, and don't forget about the mouse that builds his nest in the radiator when setting for a long period of time withought a radiator cap.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep

Thanks guys. We think the timing could be a little off, Think the water flow is OK , we did check the pump over.
Will let you know as time goes on.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd., Leaside, Ontario

Gord Only because you mentioned it...The new exhaust pipe you pushed into the 'backbone', it should have a lot of holes along the inserted section and not bottom out at the end.. to allow the exhaust to escape. Restricted exhaust could be a source of heat. Timing sounds like the issue (and newness?)

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22,B-22,633

Hi Bob

I copied the original muffler pipe
The one that came out was capped at the end with a stud coming out the end to bolt it to the end cap of the backbone. There are three rows of holes running 3/4 the length of the pipe. I made those hole slightly larger than the original.
Timing and carb cannot be too far off as the engine fires up immediatly even the first time, less than two revolutions. Kind of freaked us out.
Manual says to set the valves at 8 thou I set them at 12 thou but I recently read an article that says to set them at 15 thou
The tinging that my dad refers to is the sound of the motor as it cools down when you shut it off. I just dont remember hearing any other car make this same noise

Will

Where Are You From? Guelph

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A-22

Will and Gord,

I rebuilt my backbone muffler the same as you, I also enlarged that exhaust exit slot in the back bottom of the backbone tube thinking that could also be a restriction but not sure if it really helped....

My memory is comming back when I first got my A-22 up and running, and yes mine got hot in a hurry....With mine, I knew that I had a mouse nest in the top tank of the radiator as I could see it looking on each side of the center baffle with a flashlite...The threads on the filler neck were also not good so I thought I would kill to birds with one stone...I took the radiator along with a good filler neck to a local radiator shop and told them to flush the radiator out as a mouse had taken up residency in the top tank and also install the good filler neck...Well long story made short the radiator neck got nicely installed but the flush didn't happen, needles to say I wasn't too happy having to pull the radiator the second time plus the trip back to the radiator shop.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yep

The Durant Motors Automobile Club