Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting Problem Solved

On the last West Coast Tour, my Star wouldn't start without priming it through the spark plug hole. This was true even when gasoline was dribbling out the carburetor intake. Once started, however, it ran fine. Roger showed me how to hold my hand over the carburetor intake to start it. That got me thinking it might be a vacuum problem.

And it was. The copper line from the intake manifold to the vacuum tank was split. This led to the engine not having enough suction at start-up to pull the gas through the carburetor into the cylinder. Once started the higher RPM's created enough vacuum to over come the leak.

This is the second time that line had split. Both times at the vacuum tank. I'm thinking of switching to a rubber hose. Does anyone have experience with this?

Where Are You From? San Francisco Bay Area North

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Starting Problem Solved

Hey Vince;
Is the line coiled from the bottom of the vacuum tank? I was told that that is why they coil the line several times to help keep the tension off it and keep it from splitting. Just a thought.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Yes, I coiled it after the first time it broke. It broke at the flaring so maybe something got nicked when I put it together.

Where Are You From? San Francisco Bay Area North

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

hello
theres some line available called conifer,its supposed to keep from vibrating and cracking,comes in different sizes,some european manuf are using it i believe bmw,it looks like unpolished nickle,a little more expensive than copper but supposidly a 1 time fix, dave

Where Are You From? so calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 31 devaux 32 devaux

The Durant Motors Automobile Club