Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
To buy or not to buy.

I am looking at a 1929 D40. It needs complete restoration. Will I be able to get parts at a reasonable price?

Where Are You From? Ottawa

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet

Re: To buy or not to buy.

Jim, that the one on Kijiji west of Perth ? Still waiting for Ann to provide casting dates and engine serial, if it is. Made in Leaside Ont prior to Aug 1 1929 by its VIN number. It was on Kijiji last year also.

Science and Tech Museum has a 40 as does Cumberland Museum. I have a 32 614, Steve has a 29 60, Stephan has a 31 614, Jim in Aylmer has a 28 M2. There is or was a 29 40 on Hawthorn Rd in the bush. Claude has my old 30 614 and a 28 60. Kevin has 29 Rugby he's using the body only (same W5 engine as the 40), another Durant near White Lake village. So there are a few around here. Oh forgot Vern with oldest Canadian Durant 1922 A22 touring.

Lea and Hawley on Laurier Ave was the big Durant dealer in Ottawa, which might account for Ottawa and Valley, plus Quebec side up the Ottawa River, to have so many. In the 60's Star / Durant's was like tripping over Ford T parts all over the countryside Ont / Que.

Sure don't want to scare you away, but you will put in more money restoring the car than you would ever got out of it. As long as you realize its a hobby only and will meet or talk to all sorts of people in the same hobby as yourself, you'll be fine. Durant's / Star's no matter how rare are what is termed orphan cars and as such don't command big money once restored.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Yes it is the one near Perth. I live about 20 min. from there and went to have a close look at it today. It appears that all the wood needs to be replaced. The engine is not seized and there are a number of extra parts (doors, glass, wheels, etc.) that go with it. I am not sure that I have the skills or funds to tackle the project but I did fall in love. I think that my practical nature will lead me away from it. There are many good parts that some of your members could use but the owner does not want to part out. I can`t believe that he still has the ownership. Thank you for your candid advice. There is a project in my future but no this Durant. Jim

What a shame I didn't know you were going out to see this car. We have tried to get the vin, casting dates, and engine number to add this car to the new Registry of all existing vehicles world wide,1921 - 1934 connected to Billy Durant, last and this year on the car.

Both Steve, in Mississauga and myself have asked Ann for that info. She keeps saying the engine number is 7930 on the engine (which its not, its on the firewall vin plate))and didn't know cars had vin's that far back. Firewall has W5A601B. (again incorrect as that is cast on the head of the engine)

VIN on this is T-7930. T signifies Leaside (Toronto) plant. Its a casting on head showing W5A601B. Engine number should be 6 numbers starting with 57xxxx which is on the engine plate. Casting date on the head ???

Last mail from her was to Steve, saying come and look at him himself as she can't get at the car as its in a shed. I take it its between Brooke and Dewitts Corners. I am familiar with Christie Lake road having travelled it many times, once a week pre 1997 for years, to volunteer my time at the Scout camp on Christie, looking after the grounds, cut firewood etc. After retirement from MetLife I looked after the grounds at McCullough's Landing RV Park until this year. If I can get rid of AMD, to drive again, I will continue at the Park's grounds, as volunteer.

Well---wife and I sat down with a glass of wine and ended up buying the Durant. Life is to short to let it go by without a good kick at the can. I will look forward to joining your group and picking your collective brains. Jim

Fantastic, Jim. Now maybe we'll get the info and be able to record you as owner of the 40. There is no requirement to belong to any club to have the cars in Steve's Registry.

Know what that's like. I kept saying no to the guys here about buying the 32, that was my youth. Steve took me down after supper 2006 in the pouring rain to a few miles this side of Prescott to actually see the car. Sat behind the wheel and like a light switch, I was a teenager again with his first car. (30 Durant June 1962.

Not sure about spark plugs on the 40, but I walked into CTC in Bells Corners 2007 asking about ones for mine. Figured they would have to order them in, if at all. Lad says out on the floor in pkgs of two. So bought three pkgs for my 6 cyl.

Hi Jim;
Well the Durant bug bit you too. Welcome to the group of many that have the Durant desease. Once bitten you probably never will get rid of it and be very very careful, they are like rabbits the seem to multiply in your garage or shed. All kidding aside, the restoration will be long but the end product is very well worth it. Like Norm said will it be worth a million bucks, no, but the fun of bringing something that would just rot away back to life for all to see and enjoy is well worth the time and effort. When you get the car home, take millions of pictures of everything at several angles so you can put her back together again. Do the restoration in stages, completing one task before moving on to another. This way you won't get burned out and loose interest. Join the DMAC! Everyone here in the club are great people with one common interest. Keeping the memory of Durant and Durant Motors alive. When we get together we always have fun, with or without cars and take the opportunity to go to various meets around Canada and the U.S. The Canadian Chapter is having there meet in July, the National DMAC U.S. Meet is in September and next year the National is in Canada. Even if your car is in pieces go anyway to meet your fellow owners, get ideas on how to restore that part or where to get this part. If you don't you'll miss out on making some of the best friends you can have. Hey and remember as you take her apart, save you various wood pieces. There are no patterns out there or wood kits to replace the wood. It has to be done by you or someone that can work with wood. Good luck and hope to see you soon at an event!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Thanks for the encouragement. I have done other restorations but none this extensive. As one of you said earlier, it is a hobby. I am retired and don't go any further south than my garage so have lots of time to putter. Will join DMAC.
Jim

Jim- I am glad your wife gave you the go ahead on this! We bought our FIRST Durant in 2002 in San Diego. After looking at the car for 5 nights- I was looking at a 65 Chevy that was only $2000 difference from the 29 Durant. I thought to myself-something is wrong here. Told my husband-IF you want the car, get it-it is too good a deal (history) to pass up. I put the $200 down to hold the car. THEN we discovered this Durant group. BEST group of people you could ever know!
We now own 4 Durants-28-31! One for each grandchild to inherit!

Where Are You From? NJ and San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? 4 1928-31

Jim:
Glad you were able to buy the car. Please try to make it to Guelph for our Durant Enthusiasts meet. June 28 - July 1st. We have a great time. Check out the registration form under "Club Events" and send it in so we know how many will be attending. Hope to see you there!

Gord.

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd., Leaside, Ontario.

Got the car home on Saturday without incident. Some major issues with the top rail but otherwise very solid.

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D-40

You just missed the annual Lombardy (Smiths Falls) flea market, May 23 / 24 2015. Gets smaller and smaller each year. There has been 28 / 29 D parts in the past but I didn't see any this year. Nice brass McLaughlin touring in a trailer though, about 1910. Earl had his 1916 490 Chev touring as well. Earl trailered the 32 home for me.

Odessa Flea Market and Craft Show is coming up June 13 / 14 and you might meet a few DMAC members there showing off their cars.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club