Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1926 Star R front leaf spring help needed

The weather has finally gotten better here and I've stopped having a fever every day (would you believe for almost three months!) from some unknown illness or virus the doctors could never diagnose. I guess that is why that call it a medical practice. I went out and took a better look at my "new" Star R 6 and remembered that it drove really rough driving it home after I got it and that the front leaf springs looked odd. I looked at them again and they are both flat level. I really do not believe that is how they are intended to be. I bought some 60 wt. oil comparable to the steam engine oil to put between the leaves but I really need to know how much of a curve they should be. Isn't there some measurement that I can make to get them lined up properly? All advise and pictures would be greatly appreciated. I do have the correct Owner's Manual and Repair Manual for the car but they are of no help. I plan to remove them completely (I think) to make sure that there is no rust between the leaves so I will probably repaint and oil after than before installing replacement shackles as needed (and as available).

Thanks in advance for your time,
Gene

Where Are You From? Northeast Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 2, 1926 Star 6 and 1926 Star Landau (project)

Re: 1926 Star R front leaf spring help needed

Hi Gene I don't have any specs for you on your springs, but there are companies advertised in Hemmings that can put the spring back in your spring.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Re: 1926 Star R front leaf spring help needed

Thanks Mike but I was hoping to do this one myself if possible. Of course, it may not be. It seems that I saw a blog post recently where someone had theirs apart and was reinstalling them but I cannot remember where I saw it. If the bow is still in them when apart them they will need to be put into a big press, mine only goes to 20 tons and I would need a piece of metal, possibly a sheet metal block to use to put the proper curve in it. I will check out Hemmings and see how much they charge. It may be easier to ship them off than to do them myself.

Thanks again,
Gene

Where Are You From? Northeast Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 2, 1926 Star 6 and 1926 Star Landau (project)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club