Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
chain case pulley help.

Hi everyone.

It's been a while since I posted. I have an oil leak from the seal between the chain case and the engine block. We were trying to get an idea of how it comes off before getting into it.
We couldn't see a bolt or anything holding the pulley on... does anyone have any experience with this? I have to make a new gasket as well I imagine unless there are kits out there for this. It looks like I have to remove the oil pan as well. I was going to use the opportunity to somehow replace the float on the oil level Guage as well.
Anyone who has done this before maybe give me a heads up on things I should note?
advice on getting the pulley off?

Other than the oil leak... The car is running really great now with the new carburetor and rad.

Thanks!

Where Are You From? Langley BC

Re: chain case pulley help.

I assume you have a W5 engine so to answer your question, Use a three jaw puller and pull the pulley straight off. It is on with only a press fit. Reinstall dry with preheat. You'll have to make all your gaskets and cut a piece of cork for the oil gauge float. The float is secured with a flat washer soldered to the wire. Not an easy task without the engine upside down!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Re: chain case pulley help.

Thanks for the information. I will let you know how it goes. It will probably be the middle of the month. I will have time and hopefully, the weather will be more settled.

Thanks.

Where Are You From? Langley BC

The Durant Motors Automobile Club