Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Substitute for 600wt "Steam Cylinder Oil" used on Durant cars

OK, I've just bought a 26 Star R and need to grease up the springs all around due to the rust on them. The manual calls for 600 wt Steam Cylinder Oil and this site tells me that I need to order it from CA or TX or get 5 gallons in a jobber pail if I can find one. So, two questions: (1) Is there a substitute for this oil, and (2)does anyone know where I can pick this oil or the substitute up? I'd rather work on it this weekend than next weekend and do not want to pay for shipping of something this heavy.

Thanks to everyone!

Gene

Where Are You From? Northeast Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 2, 1926 Star 6 and 1926 Star Landau (project)

Re: Substitute for 600wt "Steam Cylinder Oil" used on Durant cars

USE KEYWORD STEAM OIL TO SEARCH PAST TALKS ON SITE

Any Model T supplier carries a substitute in quarts but do read the thread.

Where Are You From? North of SF

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

This is the oil I found that is supposed to be the same (I hope). It is the same weight and appears to be for the same purpose. Gene

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/190

Where Are You From? Northeast Tennessee

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 2, 1926 Star 6 and 1926 Star Landau (project)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club