Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Oil filtrator on 14L & 15L ENGINE

Just took of my oil filtrator on my 15L engine for restoration and replacement. I ordered a modern oil filter cartridge from Summit Racing to fit inside. I noticed that when I took it off of the engine block there was no gasket between the block and the bottom of the filter. Should there be? It's bolted to the block with 4 bolts and it was tight. Don't think it was ever taken off prior.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Re: Oil filtrator on 14L & 15L ENGINE

CHECK TECH COLUMN FOR FILTER CONVERSION

Hi Gary;
I did and ordered the Wix filter from Summit, but I can't find anything about a gasket between the bottom of the filter and the block. When I took mine off there was none, and there was no evidence of leaking so unless I hear otherwise I guess I'll install it without one when I restore it.

Mike: There should be a gasket between the housing and the engine block.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Thanks Steve, didn't seem to be one when I took it off. Probably someone in the past took it off and just didn't put on on, or the factory didn't . We know quality control at the factory always wasn't the best. Bill DeVries has the same engine and the same car, and his 15L engine doesn't have a filtrator at all. Looks on his that they never drilled it out for one.

My task for today was the dis-assembly and bead blasting of my oil filtrator. It all went well and I did find a thin paper type gasket between the block and the filtrator. It's cleaning up nice and after painting the outside will put it back together to await the block restoration.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club