Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ignition cyinder replacement

Hi, I need some help.

I bought a key cylinder and blank key from Gary Wallace.
My problem is that I do not want to destroy my ignition/light switch in inserting the new cylinder.

I have removed complete switch from car and now have NO IDEA have to remove the lever that lets me switch on headlights, park lites etc. in which the key cylinder should reside.

Hoping someone has replaced this key cylinder and would have some INSTRUCTIONS (or lessons learned) for me..

Appreciatively

Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star M

Re: Ignition cyinder replacement

There are 4 tabs on the back side that must be bent out so the front cover can come off. This will let you get to the key part of the switch. I can Email you pictures if you need more help.

Where Are You From? Calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Thanks Will

That's what I started with, and luckily inside were the slotted washer, receptor cup, and final T-connector into which the key prongs fit. I had to machine the key cylinder (with a file) a tiny bit but after that all seemed to work, reassembled , installed and job done..

A guy needing a kick start
Guy

Where Are You From? Peace River Alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star M

I have done more than one type of ignition and they all seem to be over sized. The originals were all .500 inch diameter and the replacements are .520, so you have to turn them down to fit in the lock.

Where Are You From? Calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? no

Guy

What model was the cylinder from that you got from Gary? It may be easier than what I did.

I had nothing and was unsure what would fit, so I managed to reshape a cylinder from a Model T into the switch. Works ok, but was a lot of work to get it to fit.

Thanks
Shane

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 D40 Tourer

The Durant Motors Automobile Club