Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear main seal

I have an oil leak from the rear main seal on my car. I saw an article some time back about rebuilding to a newer type seal but cant find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get a copy of this article?---think maybe it was Bill Hoagland
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe coupe- model 6-14 -Durant

Re: Rear main seal

Hi Ken,

I machined rear seal filler blocks for my 14-L to recieve the chevy small block two piece lip seal....Your 22A has a 1/4" larger dia. crankshaft than the 14-L so I am sure they wouldn't fit...Here are a coupla pics of what I did for my 14-L engine, also a pic of Don Shillings method of converting the front timing cover seal to a lip.

photo 29c80e38-7c68-45b9-9a6d-4385f67f5b29_zpsdc888adc.jpg

photo e4ea278c-e726-4481-8818-5e3deafa28f7_zps56468151.jpg

This is how the seal lip contacts the crankshaft...The crank has a dish shape and the chevy is flat....sealant is required on O.D. of the filler block as well as on the parting fase of the two halves....

photo f2c04e6b-bb96-401d-8545-e846ee8847bb_zpsba67725a.jpg

This is the front cover seal, don't recall the number...Basically the old felt and retainer is removed, the new lip seal pressed in with a sealant and tacked in three places...The crank pulley will need turning a few thousands...Also be sure to "NOT" reinstall the tin slinger

photo 14d5d0e0-f80e-4e72-8534-91f11a5bba55_zpsaa595a71.jpg

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Re: Rear main seal

Thanks so much Bill---Have to see about getting this done here-- I have a few pretty good machinist friends-
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe coupe- model 6-14 -Durant

The Durant Motors Automobile Club