Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Water Pump Gasket - and over heating

Looking for some guidance.
The 1925 Star Service truck I inherited from my dad (Bob Krause) is having some over heating problems. I have taken the radiator off to test the flow rate, and there does not appear to be any blockage. I then took the water pump off and checked the flow rate through the block and again, it appears fine. What I noticed was that the instant gasket my dad used, appears to have restricted the water flow orifice into the block. (see photos). The one photo is a picture of the paper gasket my dad had on the car in 2005, he at some time changed that to the instant gasket in one of the other photos.

( I could not get the photo of the water pump using the instant gasket to attach, but it is the same as the photo with the paper gasket but attached very close to the block)

Looking for some advice. If I go back to a paper gasket how thick should it be??? Is I go to the instant gasket, what kind should I try. Any other thoughts would be helpful.

Dick Krause

%%bbCodeItem_1%%
%%bbCodeItem_2%%

Where Are You From? Walnut, California

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 3 This regards to my dad's 1925 Service Truck

Re: Water Pump Gasket - and over heating

I used the extra thick paper gasket material available in most auto parts stores e.g. Napa. Also some gasket sealer.

The opening in the picture does seem quite constricted - maybe 50%

If that doesn't fix it - post again.

Vince

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Water Pump Gasket - and over heating

Vince

So you use both a thick gasket, and then coat both sides of the gasket with the sealer? ( I think my dad had used a Black RTV Instant gasket, but I am sure Napa will have some as well)

I am hopeful the 50% closer of the orifice was the reason for the over heating. I will post again if this does not fix it.

Thanks

Where Are You From? Walnut, California

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 3 This regards to my dad's 1925 Service Truck

The Durant Motors Automobile Club