Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What do they have?

There is some debate as to what these guys have.. They claim it's a chassis for a 1925 Durant truck. To me the W-5 motor tells me it is of Star origin. The hubs are smaller than the Durant These 2 1/4"(Durant- 2 3/8")

Any thoughts? They are somewhat adamant they have a Durant??

project1 photo PA290072.jpg

project2 photo PA290073.jpg

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3- A-22, B-22, 633

Re: What do they have?

I would ask them for the usual tell tale numbers:
Casting numbers and dates on the block and head, numbers on the tags on the side of the block, generator, starter, distributor, etc. It would also be interesting to ask them how they "determined" it was a Durant, a 1925 and a truck.

Where Are You From? Auburn/Ellensburg, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

OK, it is not a '25. Note the frame mount steering box and the front discharge exhaust manifold. These features are indicative of a later '27 with rubber engine mounts. If not a Star it may be an M2 Durant. Check the water jacket covers on the right side of the engine. If they are the six stud plates it is a Star, if they are the round press-in "freeze plugs" it is a Durant. Either of which would be a "made" truck.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

I see nothing that would discount it from being an M-4 or a model 40/60 I believe that the hubs are 2 1/4"-16 ....front dump exhaust is correct...Front wheel brakes...Steering wheel looks same.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

The W5 engine was used up through 1929, but the fenders look to be from a 1925 Star.
1927 Star and 1928-29 Durant fenders were smooth.

It looks to have front brakes, if it is a 1925 then it could be a Oakland built Star with optional front brakes or it's a 1928-29 Durant with the wrong fenders.

Rick

Rick, Star used either beaded or smooth panel fenders. Also, the data plate on the engine will be different between a Star and a Durant.

Yes, I didn't notice that fender that looks to be beaded...Wouldn't that eliminate Durant if it belongs to the car/truck?

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

I agree with Bob. Casting dates etc on head / block would give an approx year and if 1927 / 28 it can't be earlier.
W4 on Star 22 - 25. W5 on Star after and Durant 28 / 29. How can it be a 25 Durant that used A22 engine 21 - 26 no Durant 27 and resurfaced 28 as Star graduated to Durant and then Star dropped.
Can't be a 60 Bill as its a 4 cyl and 60 used 14L then 15L.

Rear left fender almost looks like a Model T Ford one pre 26 by shape and comparing to my Ford book. Maybe this thing is bits and pieces.

Where Are You From? Ottawa, Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hi Everyone. I might as well put in my 2 cents worth. I believe that it is a 1927 or a 1928 Durant M2. !st of all, Star cars ( all 4 cyl)the exhaust is from the rear of the motor., not the front. 2nd. The w5 was used in Durant cars as well the Star cars. I believe that the only differance is the Durant ID tag by the drivers side motor mount .I just sold a 1928 Durant motor witch looks like the one in question. Hope that this adds to the confusion. Bye for now Bert

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars Stars& more Stars

Hi Bert!!
Just a little clarification. In 1927 Star switched to rubber engine mounts and a frame mounted steering box. This modification required the front discharge exhaust manifold. This manifold was carried forward with the Durant applications. All W5's reverted to the "freeze plug" style casting plugs used on Durant M2's and onward.

Hi Don. Of the 25+ motors that I have, 4 are 1927s and all exhast from the rear of the motor.My 1927 Star delivery wagon has the rubber mounted mounts and the steering goes throught the fram. It also has the exhast faceing the rear of the motor. I was wondering if there was a change mid year .To the best of my knowlege Star stopped making cars for a short time in 1927. Could the change have been made when they started making cars again? Just thought I would ad more to the confusion, and maybe learn something. Bye for now Bert

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars Stars& more Stars

The Durant Motors Automobile Club