Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Information wanted on a Star Motors engine. Head is marked W4A802B

Hello over the weekend I purchased a Star Motors engine. It seems almost impossible even with the internet to find much information on it. It seems to be complete from what I can tell. Could someone help me find information please? What is the model number? What HP is it? Any parts drawings available? Thank You for any help.

Where Are You From? Moscow, Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: Information wanted on a Star Motors engine. Head is marked W4A802B

Hi Brian...

Seems that you have a W-4 Continental motor. This is a 4 cylinder flathead motor that was used in both the Star & Durant cars. The later version is the W-5. These where used in the Star C, F & M models, as well as the Durant 40, M-2 & M-4, models.

There are more of these motors existing than the cars they fit. The Continental Motor was a very high quality motor with a long life.

These same motors where used in other applications also. Some showed up in farm combines, welders, air compressors, well pumps, sawmills and even inboard boat conversions.

You can find some more info and pictures in the Model 40 manual, on the technical page.

frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch

Hi Brian-also on the Technical Page is the 1930 Continental Engine Manual that will cover the W-4. Phil

Where Are You From? portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? Model 60

Hi Brain. As heads can & were exchanged readly, I think a better way to check and see what you have, is to check the data plate down by the front motor mount, drivers side of motor. Also some motors have it cast into the block below the dip stick. I beleve that w4 motors were used in 1923 and some where in 1924 the new and improved 4 cyl was introduced hence the w5. As far as I know, the only differance was. the w4 had a 3& 1/8th in bore and the w5 had a 3&3/8 in bore.The w4 was rated at 15.6 hp a.l.a.m. rating and the w5 was rated at 18.2 hp n.a.c.c. rating. break hp for the w4 is about 25 hp and the w5 is 30hp. Hope this helps Bert

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars Stars& more Stars

The Durant Motors Automobile Club