Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crankshaft Pulley

The crankshaft pulley on the A-22 engine I have at my local machine shop was at some point 'worked on'. The pulley wheel itself (or a replacement) was bronzed onto the center tube that the crank actually goes into. The rebuilder has my engine completely torn down except that pulley's removal (which he must accomplish to get the timing cover off). His thought is that the bronzing to the central 'nut' may have de facto welded the pulley to the shaft. He is going to try to melt off the bronze, but is less than confident in the pulley's survival.

My understanding was that these pulleys pressed on with a keyway, but he says it looks to me threaded onto the shaft. Does anyone have a breakdown of this assembly or advice to share? Are workable replacement pulleys available for these or am I going to have to have someone re-bronze it back together?

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Re: Crankshaft Pulley

Todd,

The parts Book lists a #1797 "Crankshaft Fan Pulley with Starting Jaw" (not sure what a starting jaw is) the next Item is #B-1149 " Woodruff Key No. 9"...Not to be confused with the Crankshaft Gear key It lists #A-1149 "Woodruff Key No. 6"...It's been some time since I have had a pulley off but it looks like that you are right, that it is pressed on with a key...I am sure one of us can come up with a used pulley if needed.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Thanks Bill. I hope someone has a spare around should I not be able to reuse this one. Is the pulley supposed to be a flat for v belt? The current pulley (as well as the water pump and fan pulleys) is v belt, but my W4 and W5 engines use flat belts. I suppose I could come up with a flat-belt water pump pulley and use the fan off of my W4 if I need to go flat.

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

The "Starting Jaw" would be the nut/item threaded to the end of the crankshaft that is also used to insert the starting hand crank.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Welp, I looked at my A-22 parts engines in regard to the crank pulley, two of them had also been Brazed and one needed brazing...These crank pulleys look to be quite fragil, they have a cast iron/steel center portion with crank hole and key slot, and they have a small flange that a tin V belt pulley is riveted too, there is also a couple ears that are part of the casting for the hand crank "Starting Jaws" Like Steve described...There is no retainer nut, just the pressed or drive fit...I believe what happens to these pulleys is that the cast starting jaws get broken off from either the crank or from installing the pulley assembly and the recorse is to braze them back on...There must have been two versions of this pulley as I have a solid cast assembly on my car (maybe later year?)anyway, it looks to be a more substantial pulley, it also has two 3/8"NC puller holes between the starting jaw which I may have installed (can't remember)

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club