Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unknown Part of Engine

I apologize if this is a ridiculous question, but what is the device below the carburetor on my A-22 engine? It is spun via the generator shaft, but I am not really sure what it is? A governor of some sort?

unknown

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Re: Unknown Part of Engine

Todd:

On my 614 the item spun by the generator is the water pump. hope this helps. - DJ

Where Are You From? Port Hueneme, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 6-14 Deluxe Sedan

DJ-
I would have thought the same, but the water pump on my A-22 engine is driven off of a pulley/shaft on the driver's side of the engine. This unknown device looks a little like a water pump and spins freely by hand when I removed the generator. Could it be a secondary water pump?

Todd
That is the oil pump for the engine.

remember the only foolish question is the one that is not asked

Will

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ont. Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1922 Durant A-22

Will-
Well that explains it! Are these prone to failure or fairly bulletproof? I only ask because it seems like something I should test now while going through the engine rather than have fail shortly down the line.

Todd,

Our A-22 pumps are rather low volume pump...The 1923 durant has only a (5) lb pressure guage, they oil the rod bearings via an "grape vine" that squirts oil in a trough for each rod which the rods dips oil from...Part of the oil "residule pressure" is routed to the main and cam brgs via tubes and galleys...The main thing to look for would be pump gear and end plate wear on the oil pump, and see that their is no wear or side movement on the pump input shaft or pump housing, this can cause the oil pump not to prime (the pump would rather suck air than oil)...If you are lucky to have 5 lbs oil pressure with engine cold, expect to see much less when oil is warm...There is no oil pressure regulator.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club