Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant Publications

Looking for information on the various Durant publications.

1. The Durant Standard which started in 1922. When did that publication end and how many issues were there?

2. The Durant Family Registry (the registry) I have from Volume #1 number #1 to volume #3 number #4 dated 1979 complete. Where there any issues after this? and if so how many.

3. The current Durant Partner. Did it start in 1999 with Volume #1 issue #1?

4. Were there any publications between 1979 and 1999?

5. I'm looking for the complete registry compiled by Jeff Gilles. It is undated and printed on both sides. I was sent a partial list a long time ago and can't recall who sent it to me. I have pages #1 to #8, #47 & #48, #61 one sided, #65 one sided, #68 one sided and #78 one sided.
I was recently promised a complete set, but that never materialized so I'm still looking for a copy of the complete set by anyone who might be in possession of one. Thanks if any one supply one to me.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C-400 by Dominion Motors of Canada

Re: Durant Publications

Hello Steve

Just to answer your questions;

#1 The Durant Standard (sent to potential customers) were printed in both New York and Toronto. V1 #1 Oct 1922 to V2 #10 July 1924 (22 issues) There were many other Durant publications.. for dealers; "Durant Success", stockholders; "Durant Partners", "Flint" magazine, "Star" magazine, the "Durant Representative".... etc

#2 Jeff Gillis published the DFR until his death (1998)ending with V22 #4

#3 yes, Judy Woodard was the editor at that time

#4 yes, see #3

#5 I probably sent you the odd pages (all I had at the time), however I do have the complete list and will send you a copy. Jeff did his club differently, assigning each member a number (he was number 1), his roster is not in alphabetical order.

Bob

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3- A-22, B-22, 633

Thanks Bob for the great info, yes I am aware of the other offshoot publications you mentioned but my main thrust is those that the membership typically have access to with the one exception being the Spark & Throttle from Canada, Do you or any club member reading this have any copies of the Durant Family Registry issues not owned by me ?? that you could loan to me ??? I will gladly pay for your shipping and return them to you promptly. Bob I will greatly appreciate receiving your complete copy of the Gillis Vehicle Registry and put it to good use. Again a big thanks to Bob and anyone else who can contribute to my request for back issues of DFR's.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac made by Dominion Motors Canada

Hi Steve;
Unless you want a complete set of the Durant Family Registry magazines for your personal collection, they will be available online through the Museum site. I have already placed many of the issues there as well as the Index that Jeff Gillis put out later. I have 6 more issues to put up there which I hope to have up there soon and as I get a chance to scan them and put them up they will be there. My goal is to have all the magazines available to read. I also have several copies of the original Durant Standard put out in the 20's which will be also put up there. As I look at them prior to publishing them to the web, there isn't much on production numbers of the cars so if your looking for them for that reason, you'll be disappointed.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Mike I just went on your site and found nothing of the Jeff Gillis produced publications "The Registry" Durant Family Registry from any year. Like I mentioned earlier, of these I have complete up to Volume #3 Number #4 and am looking to borrow the rest of this set from anyone who might have copies beyond these. As Bob mentioned this particular set ran until Jeff's passing in 1999. Thanks if you can help in this Request.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C-400 made by Dominion Motors Canada

Steve
Not sure where you were looking, but they are there. Go to the Museum site, click on 'view exhibit site" and then click "Table of Contents" this will bring up all the individual exhibits. You can look down the list and pick the one you want. Click on "View the full record". Then at the bottom you can click the link that will download and open the full magazine to view in the flip program. Volume 1-1 through 5-4 are there so far and I will be uploading about 6 more in the weeks to come. Depending on your internet speed it might take a few moments to download the magazine once you click the link.

Took another look Mike and ended up finding them under D.M.A.C. instead of Books and Magazines where I had been looking. I think I will change my focus to the Durant Partner early editions Volume #1 issue #1 from 1999 to Volume #8 issue #4. Looking to borrow any issues from the above request, will pay for your postage and return promptly. Thanks to anyone who can help with this request.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C-400 made by Dominion Motors Canada

Hey Steve;
Had me worried that the site had crashed or the issues just disappeared. Went in last night and made sure as well as doing some more scanning and input to the site. Hope to have every issue of our magazines from start to about one year back eventually. I have plenty more items and photographs to add over the next year, but more on that later.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club