Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant Porcelain Sales and Service Sign

Anyone know what the story might be on this sign? Looks like it was made in England.

eBay item number 201157690101

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Re: Durant Porcelain Sales and Service Sign

While I'm hoping someone stumbles in with a little info/background on this sign, I have another question. Any idea why I get a message saying "Malicious Content Blocked" when I go through the Durantcars link on the homepage and click on 'Dealer Signs'?

Very interesting sign. Haven't seen one like this ever, and not sure if it really is for Durant cars. Maybe something a dealer did in England not authorized by Durant Motors. Maybe Bob Smith or Dave Schulte has seen something like this before.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

What's odd, is that I found a same design that sold on eBay a couple weeks ago. It's obviously a different sign too.

Mike, we're Durants sold in England as Durants? Forgive my ignorance, but I guess I thought they were all Rugbys over there.

It was the Star name already used that started the Rugby name used on exports of Star's. That carried over to Durant's. Seems to have gotten muddied up by 1930 with cars having Durant back on them and trucks with Rugby. Then they bought out the 614 Durant and 614 Rugby models both starting at 1001 which is probably why the dropped the Rugby name on cars.

Been a couple of 1930 614's on EBay in US with Durant name from Australia and right hand drive. Plus the owners in Australia with Durant's

If you check Terry's registry the Rugby name seems to end 1929 for cars except for the short lived 407 April - Sept 1930 when 610 came out Oakland US and to April 1931 Can which might have been replaced by 611 May 31 if any built.

Not sure how much faith you can put in Wiki for accuracy.

The Rugby was a brand of automobile assembled by the Durant Motors Company of New York City, New York (USA). Beside badges and right hand drive for some models, the vehicle was identical to Durant's Star car, and was assigned to export markets by Durant Motors, due to the name Star being under copyright by The Star Motor Company in the British Commonwealth. The Rugby was built from 1923 (Star: 1922) and production ended in 1928 together with the Star.

The sign may have nothing to do with Durant Motors but some fellow named Durant who sold some product, he sold and serviced, like washing machines. We ran into something similar with a metal step plate (perhaps) a few months back with Durant name, in a small US town and never did solve that one. Could have been the owner of a hardware store but town did have a road named Durant.
There's the Durant Arms in Devon, Ashprington TQ9 7UP, England ... but I don't think they have sales / service, ha ha.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hey Norm
Of interest is my frame on my 1928 Model 65 has holes in the right and left side of the frame for mounting the steering rack to the frame and so you can either make it a left hand or right hand drive unit. My car was made in Elizabeth, New Jersey so whoever was supplying the frames were told in the design standards to make it either way to save on cost.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Hi Mike
The 614 sedans for 31 / 32 has same wood pattern cutouts as the 30 for the rear side windows crank down windows but are solid no crank down like the 30. We also learned the backing bars for the twin bar bumpers or bumperette's 30 / 31 is same for the 32 single bar bumpers or bumperette's. Jack was looking for backing bars for his 32 and compared them to his 30 and what do you know .. identical.

Occasionally D Motors did use their noodle to utilize same parts like you are saying about the frames and putting holes both sides. I did use the word occasionally,

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club