Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just To Be Sure On The Year.......

Getting ready to get all my paperwork in order so I just need help from the experts on the correct year for the titles.

Star Coupe
Model R
VIN #E-229XX
Engine #14L 42361
Radiator Height - 27-1/2"
Lower Hood Panel Height - 18-3/16"

Star Sport Roadster
Model R
VIN #L-342XX
Engine #14L 63516
Radiator Height - 27-1/2"
Lower Hood Panel Height - 15-3/4"

What I thought I had was a 1927 Sport Roadster but going over the numbers it looks like a 1928. The Coupe was sold as a 1927 and it seems to match the serial numbers on the website. BUT the Coupe doesn't have the fenders like the 1927's I see in the photos. They look like 1926 so now I'm confused! Help me out guys!

Bill

Where Are You From? Indiana

Re: Just To Be Sure On The Year.......

There were two styles of fenders used in 26-27-28. Plain crown and beaded. Just depended on what was delivered to the factory.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Thanks Don! That explains the fenders. Now all I need is a confirmation on the VIN years.

Bill

Bill: Going by the numbers you have given for these two Star R cars the Coupe with Serial # E-229XX is a 1927 production year model and the Roadster with serial # L-342xx is a 1928 production year model. Durant made most of their serial numbering system confusing for everyone, although cars were produced in specific year the vehicle model might not be classified as the same year of production. Durant model year numbering for the most part went from Aug 1st. of that year to July 31st of the following year.

1926 Star model R # 1001 - 15,999
1927 Star model R # 16,000 - 32,999
1928 Star model R # 33,000 - 40,000
Same serial number ranges used at all Factories, L, C, E, & T

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Frontenac C 400 by Diminion Motors Canada

Thanks Steve!
I had a suspicion it was a 1928 when I noticed the beltline differences between the Coupe and Roadster. Thanks so much for your time explaining this to me. Not much Star info out there!

Looks like my registry information will have to be changed. Who do I contact for that?

Bill

Bill I have taken over the Registry after Terry's passing, apparently there is some web site cliches or ownership rights which prevent the club from updating it currently, but it's in the works to be straightened out in the near future, until then I have the records and keep adding or correcting as new details come forth, please froward you info to me via e-mail or there is a new form in this issue of the Durant Partner you can mail in to Bob or myself, either way the info will eventually end up with me. Glad I could be of help in sorting out the Durant serial numbers nightmare.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 C-400 Frontenac made by Dominion Motors Canada

The Durant Motors Automobile Club