Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
#1 gas

I was advised (by an older man) to put #1 gas in my Star in lieu of regular gas. This is due to gas not being as it once was.
I put in a tank of #1 and went for a 40 mile drive, the Star sure seemed to run better.

Am I wrecking the engine ?

tx guy

Where Are You From? peace river alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 4cyl Start

Re: #1 gas

Hi Guy! How's it goin' Buddy?
I don't know what # 1 is but I used to run AvGas 100LL in anything without an oxygen sensor and, yes, they definitely ran MUCHO better, and without ANY damage!!!
Remember, the Star was using unleaded gas before there was any leaded additive and, yes, engines tended to burn valves and seats more often.
Today we are back to unleaded gas but try to stay away from the corn licker additive. Corn Ethanol slows down burning and efficiency and has dubious environmental benefits.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Don Shilling
Hi Guy! How's it goin' Buddy?
I don't know what # 1 is but I used to run AvGas 100LL in anything without an oxygen sensor and, yes, they definitely ran MUCHO better, and without ANY damage!!!
Remember, the Star was using unleaded gas before there was any leaded additive and, yes, engines tended to burn valves and seats more often.
Today we are back to unleaded gas but try to stay away from the corn licker additive. Corn Ethanol slows down burning and efficiency and has dubious environmental benefits.

#1 - 91 octane
#2 - 89 octane
Reg - 87 octane

Where Are You From? peace river alberta

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 4cyl Start

So Guy you use what we call High Test or Premium fuel for your car. Here in the states you can still get regular gas without ethanol in places and here in Florida the Governor signed a bill last year making regular gas available again too. We have stations called Race Traks down here in the South and many have regular non ethanol gas available again. As a matter of fact they just built a new station around the corner that has it available. I'll probably use it in the Durant. It does not have the octane rating of premium but is a bit higher than the ethanol regular. As everyone knows the ethanol gas plays havoc on the rubber and plastic parts of an engine including "O" rings etc.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Gas available in the late 20's and 30's was about 60-80 octane and didn't have lead in it. You should be fine with regular unless you've installed some sophisticated engine management system in your Star that can adjust air-fuel mixtures and timing. In any internal combustion engine if you hear a "knock" under load you need to go to a higher octane fuel.The ethanol in some fuels can be a problem with any "soft" parts in your fuel system as Mike said. I can't think of any on my car. But ethanol in our country is more a political issue than a engineering issue. Ethanol belongs in a cocktail glass with some ice cubes and a splash of water! Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club