Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Technical Question RE: Brake rod between frame

I'm just about done stripping the frame of all miscellaneous screws, bolts, brake rods, pins etc but have one last thing to remove. I have run into a snag and need some help. Running from one side of the frame to another is a bar that connects to the brake rods that run down each side of the outside of the frame. This bar then connects to the brake pedal so that when you push in the brake pedal it engages the mechanical brakes on each wheel. I have removed the outside levers that attach to the clevis pin and front and rear brake rod. This lever is held in place by screws and a "bar pin" that keeps the lever from revolving around the bar. On the back side of the lever is a spring and what appears to be a washer with a felt outer edge that keeps pressure on the this "bar pin". It appears to fit in a slot on the round bar. I have to remove the "bar pin" in order to remove the spring and washer so I can remove the bar from within the frame. Now the question: How do I remove the "bar pin" or key in the round bar? Do I tap it out with a hammer and punch from the outside in or from the inside out? I'm afraid if I do it the wrong way I'm going to destroy the "bar pin" and cause damage to the round bar. I hope I explained the piece right and I'll post a picture later on this. Maybe someone has addressed this before and can let me know the way to go on this.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Mike....

Is the key a half round Woodruff key? or a straight key?

If a Woodruff style you should be able to tap down on one end and the key will roll out of the slot. Be sure to use a brass punch to keep from damaging the key.

Hope this helps.....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch

This is the brake bar showing the pin I'm talking about.

photo IMG_0202.jpg

photo IMG_0201.jpg

These are generally very easily removed with a large pair of side cutters with minimal damage. Just grab the end of the key and pry upwards.
Another good way is to drill a 1/8" hole in the shaft, opposite the key, in the center of the slot and perpendicular to the key. Use a punch and the key pops right out. I've come across some applications where the key slot is already drilled to provide for this method of removal.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Yet another way to accomplish the task: Select a medium metal chisel and position the tool parallel to the shaft with the cutting edge pointed slightly down in toward the shaft key slot at one end of the key. Dont allow the cutting edge of the chisel to dig into the shaft but only to ride along its diameter. Give a few smart hits with the hammer and the key will roll right out of its slot!

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Alright, did not have a chisel or punch, but used a screw driver and the one side came out after repeated hits with a hammer. Now the other side would not budge so and is getting pretty beat up. I also tried using a set of vice grips then hitting them with the hammer but no go. I'm going to a friends house this afternoon who has a metal punch with a flat round end. I'll try that and if that does not work then I'll drill it like Don said. Does anybody know if these are available anywhere should I need to replace this one after I use the dynamite?

Just a follow up, I did finally pound out the other woodruff key from the other side of the bar. I think McMaster Carr sells them so I should be able to replace them. Everything is off the frame and she's ready to go down this week to the blaster and painter. I'm working on blasting all the nuts and bolts, washers and other small stuff off the frame as well as the brake rods. Tedious work but it has to be done.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club