Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A-22 Roof Bows

Hello all. My wife and I just returned home from a wonderful 100th Anniversary Kansas White Way Auto Tour this weekend. We got to share the history of Durant Motors with a lot of new people and make the first long drive (~90 miles) in my A-22. Unfortunately, upon return homing I noticed that one of my roof bows is severely cracked and about to fail. There are several other failure repairs on the same bow (which I never noticed before), so I'm looking at making a new one. Can anyone tell me what wood this should be? The grain looks like oak, but it appears to be much too lightweight. Advice is appreciated. Thank you!
-Todd

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22

Re: A-22 Roof Bows

Hi Todd.....

Mine are Oak.

I had new steam bent bows made for the Star roadster by an Amish fellow near Lancaster PA. You can see them in Jim G's post "following a Star"

I can send you the contact info if you need.

Frank... ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a bunch

Re: A-22 Roof Bows

Thanks Frank! I figured oak was the way to go. Lucky for me, there is a local carpenter that does wonderful work and is always looking for a challenge. He has quoted me what I feel is a fair price to steam bend a new oak bow, sanded and finished to match my others. Thanks for the reply!
-Todd

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club