Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
roofing trim

I need to find some roofing trim to fasten my roofing into the opening in the roof. I had some but when I removed it It broke up pretty badly. The lower portion is okay but the upper--which fits into the lower -is really in bad shape Anyone know what its called and where I can find some?? Or what else can I use to seal the roofing in
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant-Model 614-Deuxe rumble seat coupe

Re: roofing trim

Ken- The cobra -grained roofing material is on top, then maybe some thin batting material over the "chicken wire" which is nailed to the roof support wood. The inch wide 4 piece metal retaining strips(one straight piece at the front, right and left straight pieces at the side and a 'U' shaped piece at the back) are tacked into the corresponding channel in the roof metal. Originally there was then a lock strip pushed into the center of these strips to hide the nail channel. It was u shaped and very flimsy. I found some similar rubber material that I glued into this. Looks good to me. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Ross-- Not quite what I had in mind-- the pieces I need go in the roof--around the edge of the cobra material -to seal the roof so no rain gets into the car. I have all the other strips i need for the metal body joints.
Thanks anyway Ross- Ken

OOps Guess i didnt read it right-- Mine is only a two piece strip-- fits into the groove of the roof an joins at the rear centre of the roof I have the lower part -Need the lighter strip that fits into the groove to seal it
Ken

Ken,

Have you considered doing away with the metal strip welt and going to a black vinyl "Hidem welting" in its place? There is also another welting called "Wire-on" that is tacked or stapled on and folds back over itself, It is a little more rounded when installed than the Hidem...In most cases I prefer the looks of the Hidem welt...Lebaron Bonney has all that stuff.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club