Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Importing from Canada

Hello all. I am looking to import an original A-22 engine and possibly a partial chassis from Canada (to bring my A-22 back to a more original condition). I am trying to get all my paperwork in order before going after it with a trailer this summer. I would greatly appreciate the advice of anyone that has experience doing something similar.

I have the EPA 3520-1 form, and the DOT HS-7 form. According to the reading I've done on the Customs & Border Patrol website, I need something to show that the vehicle is greater than 25 years old (though it would seem self-evident). Since I will have no original invoice from 1923 or any registration paperwork on the vehicle, I may need to do what the CBP site says here:

"Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used."

Could someone from the club certify the age? Would I need pictures and/or a chassis or engine number?

I appreciate any and all help!

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Re: Importing from Canada

Todd try contacting these folks, they have been very helpful to me in the past in dealing with similar concerns, Canadian Border Services 1-800-461-9999. The casting numbers on the head should give you the motor's age, example 14-02-23 there is a separate motor number but no way to verify it as to date unlike the head, as for the frame nothing that I'm aware of to help identify it's age to a non vintage car person. I can't see you having a problem with bringing these used parts across the border, it's not like your bringing back a complete car where a title or ownership would be needed.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C-400

Todd:
Our 1922 Durant does not have any casting marks on the engine. However, our spare engine (seized) has a casting mark on the head (between cylinders 2 & 3) and reads 3 4 24 indicating a casting date of April 3 1924. This engine is the newer type. I am at a loss to tell you what to do. Their is a "D" just behind the timing case indicating Durant. There is nothing showing the name DURANT . It is an overhead valve engine. You aren't bringing a car back, only parts, which due to NAFTA are duty free. Maybe after you talk to Border Services, you will have a better idea.
Gord & Will

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac by Dominion Motors

Todd:
I just had another thought. If you have a parts book for the A 22, it has a date on the front when it was published. The head has a part number on it between No 1 and 2 cylinders and that part number should be the same as the one in the book. I believe the parts book shows both the early and late model heads. The early head has 8 bolts securing it to the block, whereas the late head has 9 bolts.
Hope this helps.

Gord & Will

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac by Dominion Motors

Ken, Lance, Reg and others give Todd a hand .. you've cross bordered engines, fenders, wheels, frames etc.

Yes Gord about over 25 yrs is duty free but must be for a vintage car not rods. Rodders have spoiled it for us and border folks now think all parts are for rods, so subject to duty etc. Just ask Stephan about a set of headlights from Calif for the 1931. $50 ebay was near $200 later when dust settled and they refused the 25 yr duty free. He had everything to prove otherwise but as mentioned all is rod in their eyes, into Canada. Sure not saying they are all like that as I had the shocks, links, link plates sent from NH for the 32 but they couldn't read or mis placed their glasses. They took shocks as socks you wear and they came in as clothing ha ha. Sure heavy socks.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Todd,

Along the same line as Gord, the April 1, 1923 Instruction manual has an excellant picture of both the right and left side of the A-22 engine...Wouldn't that initself be sufficient for date profing.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes three

Thanks all for the responses. I am waiting to get the engine/head casting numbers (and maybe even a cowl number) from the seller as well as some pictures. I plan to build a dossier of information to take with me 'just in case'. I've printed off a bunch of info and pictures, have manuals/books of my own, and many forms. Better too much than not enough. It's a very long drive which I'd prefer not to make twice.

I will take along pictures and info about my A-22, so they will see I am not a rodder but a restorer. Hopefully they will consider this just parts and I get a friendly border agent!

Thanks again for all the tips and advice!
-Todd

Good luck Todd and hope all goes without a hitch.

Hi Todd. Bringing an engine from Canada to the US may be easier than everyone thinks. I did it last fall and it was easy (except for the long, slow line at the border crossing).

I went up to Langley, BC and picked up a 1930 Model 407 4 cylinder engine and came back. When I got to US Customs at the border and was asked if I had anything to declare I told the agent that I had a 1930 Durant engine that had been given to me for free in the back of my pickup where it was obvious to see. He paused, so I told him that the owner no longer wanted it and rather than send it to the scrap heap, he gave it to a friend for free, and the friend gave it to me for free (all true). The agent pondered that for a moment, then told me to have a good day and waved me through.

I have not heard of the forms you have or anything else mentioned in the emails above and took nothing with me except my hoist to lift it into the back of my pickup. I was however prepared to give them a long history lesson on Durant if needed. Take all the forms, and your passport and be prepared, but you may find out it is easier than some of the horror stories we have heard.

Be sure to let us know how it turns out when you get back.

Where Are You From? Auburn, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

I have brought a load of durant parts from the states-and also have taken a load to the states. never had any questions asked except --" what is a durant??"
Never had any problems--Maybe I have just been lucky but maybe you will find the same thing happening to you.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C canada

Hi Todd.
How did your trip to Canada work out? Did you have any problems getting the parts through Customs and back to the US?
Bob

Where Are You From? Auburn, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Bob-
I actually haven't gone yet! My plans have gotten moved back to the first week in August. I think I have all my potentially necessary paperwork ready, but have high hopes I won't need any of it. I will be sure to follow up here when I get back.

One more question for you knowledgeable folks as I finish my cross-border preparations: are the rules for trailer towing in Ontario any different than those in the US? I will be pulling a small 5x10 trailer with lights and safety chains. Last thing I want is a ticket or delay! Can I travel at normal highway speeds? Appreciate the information as what I've found through Google searching has been less than informative.

I have hauled a trailer all over the country and never had any problems-- As long as it is in good shape-with lights and brakes as well as the usual saftey chains you should be good to go.
Let us know how it works out.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Thanks for the reply Ken. It does have good tires, good lights, two safety chains, etc. But, it does not have brakes on the single axle. I've pulled a number of trailers in my time and I don't think I've seen nor heard of any this small with brakes. This is basically what we call a golf cart trailer, a glorified lawnmower trailer.

Trailer info for towing a trailer in British Columbia

Trailer Brake Requirements
Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less – Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

Go to
www.rvda.ca

for info on other provinces

Where Are You From? Kamloops BC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star UXU6

Todd: we lug four different single and tandem axle trailers everywhere across Ontario and never have any problem. Some with, some without brakes. The authorities keep an eye out for and will stop any vehicle or trailer that is ratty looking and does not appear safe. If it looks neat tidy and safe, AND not visibly overloaded, no one will bother you. Two tips on the safety chains. Cross them, they look for that. And, the chains should not be on with "S" hooks. If police or MTO inspectors kick the chains, they cannot fall off the tow vehicle. We use chain hooks with keepers on them. Finally, you can travel at the same posted speed as a vehicle without a trailer behind it. It's clear sailing in Ontario and you will not have any problems. Bring lots of extra cash to feed the tax man when you buy fuel here, they like to keep gas prices high. Email or look my phone number up in the roster if you need help with anything in Ontario or have more questions.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/topics/trailer.shtml

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yup

Thanks Don. I will make sure my rig doesn't look ratty or suspicious. It will be neatly tarped, etc. I learned the crossing-the-safety-chains trick a long time ago, so that won't be a problem. However, the trailer I am borrowing does have regular S hooks. I am wondering if I can cheat a bit (rather than put new chains/hooks on a borrowed trailer) and use some heavy wire to create my own 'keepers' on the Ss.

Two Ontario questions for you. You mentioned 'feeding the tax man'. How much should I expect to pay for fuel in Ontario? The conversion makes it slightly confusing to calculate (liters to gallons, C dollars to US dollar). Also, any tips on the best route through/around Mississauga/Toronto at evening rush hour?

Thanks for your help!
-Todd

Todd, which way are you coming from and where are you going to ? I live in Mississauga and can help you get around it and Toronto which is a complete mess at any time of the day.

Do You own a car built by Durant? No 1933 Frontenac C-400 made by Dominion Motors

I am coming from SE Michigan, probably through Windsor though it's hard to tell if it might be just a hair longer to up through Sarnia. I am going to Peterborough. I probably will not be able to leave Michigan until about noon.

My bro has a lawn / garden business up here in Ottawa and single axle trailer seems to sound much like his for hauling the mowers. We've used S hooks for years no problem.

Have fun exploring Peter Patch (Peterborough) when you get there. My grandfather used to own a confectionary / grocery store on George St in the late teens my aunt was born over. Store is still there but is now apartments.

Gas can be $1.32 in Ottawa a liter for regular and $1.19 a liter in Carleton Place / Innisville outside Ottawa. Have to also remember US gallon is different size to Imperial gallon. Just put Gas Price in search and it will ask you city / province http://www.ottawagasprices.com/

Todd: Ah, you'll be fine. You'll have such a good trip here you won't want to go home. If you have the "S" hooks, securing them on with black wire so they cannot be kicked off will suffice. We've had MTO inspectors try kicking them off but wiring them on will qualify no problem. Besides, we cut visitors a bit of slack. Gas here is about $1.24 per litre in CAN$. Best figure about 4 of them in a US gallon, more or less. Yup, right around the $5 per gallon mark. But that is Canadian money and your money goes a tad further here when exchanged. Have a most enjoyable trip!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yup

I have returned from the great north with nary a scratch. I had no trouble crossing the border with my load, they didn't even want to see any of my paperwork! The biggest problem I had in my 1300+ mile return home was the time it took to explain the rig, and Durant in general, at every gas stop on the way home! I hope to have my engine in working order, ready for installation by spring. Thanks all for the helpful advice. Canada was in fact wonderful.
-Todd

Todd: Great to hear all went smoothly for you at border, and I hope my suggestions worked out to avoid traffic around the G.T.A. (Toronto). Did any of those other leads work out for you ??. If not it's still nice to know that you ended up with what you needed.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933 Frontenac C-400 Dominion Motors Canada

Yes Steve, thank you for your Toronto traffic advice. Although I didn't bring as much back with me as I might have liked, I made some great contacts and it was a great opportunity to meet with fellow Durant owners like Jack & Mary Connor, Don Elliott, and Ralph Skinner.

Glad to hear everything went well. Since it was most enjoyable and you did not spend enough time here, be sure to mark your calendar for the annual DMAC meet here in Sept. 2016. We are only 1 hour north of Toronto, not quite a 3 hour drive from Buffalo or about 5 hours from the Detroit/Windsor border crossing. Get your friends planning ahead too with lots to see and enjoy here.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club