Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1929 Durant

Can anyone give me a clue what model this is ? There is an outside door handle on Ebay with same shield shaped backing plate. 221382562568

Instrument dash plate is very similar to the 1930's. It would have to be 63, 65,66,70 or 75 to have all the gauges inside. The Ebay fancy pine cones seems to match this picture's inside handles. I don't see anything in aftermarkets indicating handles like this for any 28 / 29 model. The shape of the dash board itself matches the 60 in all details except for instrument cluster of course. Pic's of car were sent to me by another ebay seller I've been friends with for a few years who also sells handles, caps etc. He said he was told this car was a 1929 Durant. He's got the 1930 assist cord I identified for him 171252082787 Matches aftermarket exactly but for condition

photo Capture1.jpg

photo Capture.jpg

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Re: 1929 Durant

Hi Norm.
That is a model 75 and built in 1929. I sold Arthur Roberts a bunch of those pine cone handles. Also had his model 75 here and worked on it.
Good luck.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

Thanks Lance .. at least its identified as a Durant. Aftermarket's only indicate the rectangular type handles for 28 - 29 and nothing fancy.

More I looked at Karim's pic it had to be a Durant with dash board same as Steve's 60 for shape, not gauges. Gauge plate as I said very similar to the 30 with shape of gauge openings. Didn't take much for Durant to slightly alter that to the 30 crest like shape. Four cyl head gasket didn't fit in pic for 63 - 75 models.

I'll pass the info on to both. As I said to Rich his handle is sure not Frontenac.

Not to flog a dead horse but 28 or 29 ? Gillis serials and Terry's durantcars says 1928 for the 75. DMAC photos also only 28

More sleuthing in DMAC photos and Larry's 75 has entirely different instrument cluster. Exterior handles seem same as rest of D's. Same as Terry W's 75 handles. Those pine cone a special order ?
Norm

Norm.....

Both my Model 70's have the pine cone handles.

And Arthur Roberts car was also a Model 70.

I think the 70 was the only Durant that used those handles.

Some other manufactures also used the pine cone design.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 19 and counting

Thanks Frank .. If my memory is still working partly. I pulled similar door handles off an Oakland sedan, in the 60's. It was in the ditch beside the road back in the boonies above Lanark, going to Flower Station. Was all sorts of cars back there until Ron Fawcett came through the entire area with a fleet of semi's and men like locus, stripping everything bare of any use and sending truck loads back to Whitby. There was nothing of any use left for the rest of us restoring our cars. You never saw anything like it. Cars with parts the folks up there said we could leave and come back for as we needed, gone. I recall the handles as they had acorns or pine cones on them.

Not surprised other cars used them, which is normal with Durant empire of assembled cars. Chevy taillights on some. Beehive lenses used 65 and 71 US plus 4 other makes and used more here. Number of pre 30 used the beehive here and all 1930 - 32 Durant and Frontenac. Look at my 32, only 32 614 / 618 used the defunct 1930 Essex inside handles.

sorry pc alters words from what I put and once I hit enter it changes them in emails and postings. XP never did but this Windoz 7 does grr

Beehive lenses used 65 and 71 US, should say 65 and 1931 US

same as my 29--70 pine cones

Where Are You From? Penna

Do You own a car built by Durant? star trg

The photo of the dash does not match my 1928 D75. My dash center is an oval with the gauge openings having a half an oval shape to them. I believe the vehicle is later then the 1928 year model.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Steven, that's what had me looking / asking again after seeing Larry F's 75 dash in DMAC photos. Lance was partly right with 29 year and owner but out on the model as 75.
Just didn't fit the 1928 75 with dash like you say (and Larry's dash) and rectangle outside handles Larry F and Terry W have in DMAC photos.
Dash does match up with the 29 in Lances 66 in photos and both Frank and Gary say its a 1929 70 that used the pine cone handles.

Norm

Two more pine cone exterior handles on eBay. Same seller on both.
311447302638 and 371442670995

How one becomes a roadster handle because of lock ???

Hey Norm, I agree with Frank & Gary, as accurate as we can be with Durant's as we all know, I've only seen the pine cone door handles on the 1929 Model 70 which is a very large and great looking car. These would be hard as hens teeth to find if you didn't have them. Don't see them much on Ebay etc. I've seen Arthur Roberts car too and it does have the distinguishable pine cone handles.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

I agree, Mike, its D70 and why I posted it about two more handles. Attached mails were over a year ago. Lad has a bunch of unknown rad shells plus other unknowns, so scanned what else he had and there was the two pine cone handles he's calling 1929 Hudson.
Notified the seller they were Durant and his rely was .... sold many in the past14 years.

Didn't tell him we only know of 6 vehicles or price would sore even more, grin.

Not to belabor this forum. Did a bit of looking and those pine cone handles were used 1929 Hudson Essex. More of them on eBay I noted going for Google image of Hudson pine cone handle. So another source for those parts.
Hudson / Essex being same Co, I discovered a few years back the Dominion 1932 Durant 614 / 618 inside handles were used on the 1930 Essex.

Always nice to know other makes that used our parts. Talking to two big eBay handles sellers there are no books to identify what vehicles used same handles.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club