Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Firewall Senciled Markings

I noticed a marking on the firewall of my 1930 614 which was built in Oakland, CA. The marking is very faint but was made with a stencil and reads "A10". The letters are approximately 1 and 1/2 inches high, located on the upper passenger side firewall just below the lip of the cowl. It looks like it might have been in a gold color or similar color.

I suspect it may have been a code for the body paint color, or maybe the body model since Durant used the same basic body for 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder cars.

Has anyone found similar stencil markings on other cars, and does nayone have any info on the meaning of the marking?

Where Are You From? Auburn, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Firewall Senciled Markings

Bob:
When I looked at the 29 D-60 that Bruce in Bothell has I noticed those markings also. I just assumed they were factory production line numbers. (Just like the line numbers on the planes).
I will send him a E-mail to see what he says.
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Firewall Senciled Markings

I have seen those stencil markings in the position you described on member Jim Colbert's 614 sedan. I believe it consisted of a letter and a two digit number. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club