Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant factory info:

Hi All:

I just returned from a meeting of our local club and a man next to me asked if there ever was a business connection between John North Willys and Billy Durant. I think there was some connection because of a factory purchase..??

Thanks for any info. Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Durant factory info:

Gary hit this in search and noted this comment

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/willys.html

With a combination of these factors, a short, but deep recession caught Willys short for the first time. He had overextended. His nervous creditors moved into immediate receivership. Willys set about to rectify the situation. In the interim, Willys was forced to deal with the creditors’ appointed agent, who had the authority to run the company, Walter P. Chrysler. Chrysler had retired, essentially from Buick in 1920, after repeated clashes with W C Durant. He certainly did not need a job or more money, having amassed a fortune from Buick stock and several railroad investments.

And this also, so Billy sure knows Willys.
Chrysler sent a representative to the bankruptcy auction at Elizabeth. The agent was to offer no more than $5 million for the $14 million facility. Unexpectedly, some very strong competition was encountered. The sale was completed when W.C. Durant (of General Motors and Chevrolet fame) won with a bid of $5.2 million, ultimately producing the Flint car there. The three engineers remained, but the Flint was in no measure anything compared to the proposed Chrysler car.

Original is at John North Willys (of Overland) biography http://www.allpar.com/corporate/bios/willys.html#ixzz2mydqjtzA
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

Now in Wiki it mentions selling of two plants to Billy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Willys

Although very profitable, John Willys' businesses were highly leveraged, expanded and/or acquired through massive borrowings. In 1921, Willys' nervous bankers forced him to consolidate in order to limit their exposure. To raise cash for debt reduction, the Willys-Overland plant in New Jersey was sold at auction to William C. Durant as was Willys' "New Process Gear Company," in Syracuse, New York. With debt under control, Willys once again began expanding and in 1925 bought the F.J. Stearns Co. of Cleveland, Ohio that made a line of luxury vehicles. In 1926 Willys introduced the "Whippet" model line that sold in the U.S., Canada, and Australia.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Norm:
Thanks for the great info. The man was really impressed. I told him that if anyone knew, it would be you.
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Nice try Gary .. it was curiosity that had me surfing the web to see if there was anything out there to help answer the question.
Now we know more about Billy and connections.

With my mind it won't stay there long Why did I go to the basement and what for ? I wanted three things from grocery store, what was the other two, I know I put it on a list but where is the list ?

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club