Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A sad day for all Durantonians!

I received this blog today from Hemmings Motor News.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/11/04/factory-where-chrysler-automobile-was-conceived-razed-in-new-jersey/?refer=news

One of the last Durant plants, if not the last Durant plant will be torn down. Leaside, Canada is gone, Oakland, California is mostly gone and now a shopping mall, the last I heard the Lansing, Michigan plant is vacant and now Elizabeth, New Jersey. In its day, it boasted 500 cars coming off the assembly line per day. My car for one came down that assembly line. A sad sad day for sure!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: A sad day for all Durantonians!

We (Durantonians) are lucky we had the opportunity to tour the factory in 2005 during our annual conference! Those of us who got to tour here, were very impressed with all the innovations for the time the factory was in use to manufacture the Durants. AND, many of us have a piece of history in the form of the creosote bricks from the 4th floor of the building! They cannot take our memories away, even though the building is history.

Where Are You From? NJ/San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929, 1930, 1931, and now a 1928 PLUS an 81 Clenet

Mike.
Your a little off stating the Oakland factory was torn down. Actually a wealthy company poured 70+ million into restoring it and we had a Natl meet there years ago, I even gave them a full page story in the Oakland Tribune in 22 about the Billy building that factory on the corner of International & Durant Ave. I also gave the owners a model 60 Radiator shell which they have on display next to a fully restored model 60 Durant displayed inside a glass room just inside the front entry.The Durant square factory is such a success they have added 2nd story on the back half. They gave me a tour of the building under restoration, and a foreman said is was the strongest and well built building they had every worked on. All they did was power wash the brick exterior, and regrout where any grout was loose. They had Durant's original water tower inspected and OKed to leave it up and it has Durant's name on it. I thought I had a somewhat agreement with the owners to get some unusable space left over to have a little club museum in there but the place was such a success they rented 100% of all the floor space, so there went our hopes for the Oakland factory museum. After I had started the museum fund with a bunch of us donating some major cash, I had hoped we could even pay a little rent. I have ask Rick to keep after them but no luck yet. It was such a thrill to drive my 29 Durant model 6-66 back into that factory where it was made on our Natl meet we had there.
Faithfully
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

Rick,

I notice that the first years of our Previous Events pages are missing which would include the two factory meets...Are they under construction or is my computer acting up as usual....Thanks

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Bill, you are right in that the early 2000 club events can not be viewed.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hmmmmm.

The events past events pages appears on two computers here at the office, but it appears the 2002 and 2005 may be broken.
The url looks correct, but there may be an issue on the back end server. I’ll check it out later tonight after I get home.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

The Durant Motors Automobile Club