Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Distributor A22

What make & model number was the original distributor used on a 1922 Durant model A22 4 cyl.?

Where Are You From? Southern IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Distributor A22

Ahh, Hello, Where are the Durant experts? I'm trying to correct my 1922 A22.

Wish I could help you out, but my '23 A-22 has a Star engine in it! :-)

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 Touring

Hey Frank, give it a bit and one of those knowledgeable guys will get back to you. You might also email Ken Brink as he has an early Durant and he can probably tell you what is on his car. Bob Smith also has one, but not everyone checks the old forum out everyday. I'm sure someone will get back to you shortly.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Thanks MIKE. I'm just impatient when I get a new vehicle and like it. This is the first Durant I've owned and the more I look at the engineering about this car I like it. Simple design, basic and rigid.

Hi Frank...

Check out the Technical Pages button and look at tune up electrical specifications.

Does you car have the original type coil with the condenser built in or is the condenser in the distributor?

Auto-Lite IG-4018 is listed as used on the 1925 A-22. This has the condenser in the distributor.

My A-22 has had the distributor changed so I can't tell you what was original.

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? too many to count

Hello Frank
I think the biggest issue with telling you what Auto-Lite distributor is original is the fact that no one has the original distributor. My A-22 has been running a Delco unit from a 1928 4-cyl Chevy for 45 years that I know of.

I have seen the dog house style coils (with a sort of resistor on the outside). The idea that some also contained a condenser is news to me (warranting research). It seems the Auto-Lite units had a square internal condenser.. another impossible part to find.

The local parts store has parts for a 28 Chevy in stock?

Bob

Where Are You From? tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3- A-22, B-22, 633

Hi Frank and Bob,

I also run an early Delco Dist on my '23 A-22 and I went back and installed a new old stock original mail box coil on the generator, The coil does have an external resistor and also has the integral condensor in the coil....In the 1923 A-22 Instruction Manual, under Ignitin Coil, Operation and Location, second paragraph. "A condenser is contained inside of coil and assists the coil proper to raise the voltage and protects contact points in igniter from burning...

I don't know the Autolite Distributor number but a 1922 A-22 parts car that I picked up in Salt Lake City a coupla years back appeared to have an original intact Autolite Dist and Mailbox coil...It won't be until mid April before I will get back and check for a number...Anyway, Frank has his name on it.

Where Are You From? Yuma AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Thanks Bill. Can't wait to get it.. I love my 1922 Durant.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club