Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Replacement Distributor Parts

Hey Star people,
I have a friend that just purchased what we think is a '27 Star M2 as it is a 4 cly. motor. The current distributor has a potmetal housing and is a n autolite with a missing ID tag.

The rotor is round and is approximately 2" in diameter with a round hole that fits onthe shaft and a round brass pin that firts into a seperate hole in the shaft. According to the Durant and Star Parts repair book... on page 108 there is a picture in the bottom right corner that is very similar, but it has a 6 cyl. cap. and the distributor part # is listed as IG 4067A.

Our distributoor is in decent condition and we would like to find new replacement points,condensor and cap if possible. If parts are obsolete for this distributor..... Does anyone have have an idea which distributor would make a good replacement?

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance.
Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Re: Replacement Distributor Parts

Hi Jim,

I believe replacement points, condenser and cap are the same as the 1928-29. Part numbers are on the tech page. James Miller out here replaced his stock distributor with one off of a VW Beetle and the engine is running fine now. I've seen this swap about three times with good results.

Rick

BTW, keep those pictures of Frank's Roadster coming

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

NAPA had the points etc. for my 1925 Star 4 cylinder. The rotor was not circular but it fit with a little filing. Take your parts and they'll match them.

Vince

Where Are You From? North of San Francisco

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Jim.....

That is the early version that has the round rotor. Probably also has the square condenser.

The parts have been obsolete for a long time. You will not find them at NAPA. They do show up on eBay from time to time.

Check with Ben McAdams, (listed in parts & service directory) who deals in obsolete ignition parts. He should be able to help

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? too many to count

Thank you everyone for your replys.

The distributor was completely frozen into the housing and could not be removed without damage to the potmetal housing. He is now searching for a replacement housing. I suggested trying to find one of the remade aluminum housings from Canada, but I'm not sure if there are still any around?

Gary went to a local VW builder today and is following Rick's suggestion for now. He would really like to find and original replacement for this car, but is not exactly what year it is. It's titled '24, but looks like a '27 or '28 to me.

I have not personally seen this car yet, but I can post a couple of pics.Please help me identify the correct year from these 2 pics if possible.

photo StarCabrolet2001800x560.jpg

photo StarCabrolet1001800x561.jpg

Here you go Don and Frank! Thanks again everyone Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Don't know if it is of any help but the wiring diagrams of the early Durant 1922-24 and Star 1922-23 Autolite systems show the condensors as an integral part of the IGN coil rather than in the distributor.

Where Are You From? Yuma AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Jim wouldn't the VIN on ownership tell you year and model based on serials in DMAC or Terry's site online. Or engine as W4, W5, A22 if a 4 cyl.

Hard to check in Star photos section as majority won't work and even Durantcars in DMAC gives error messages as well.

This doesn't appear to have drum lights of the F series but those of 27 M or R in Terry's. Ah after market says drum for M or R but next ones down, Acorn type lights for models M, M2, X, X2 ... R can have Bullet type. Love our after market catalogues that break down a lot of the parts by model where US after market say nothing. Corresponding US one doesn't even list headlights.
Drum $4.50 Can each, Acorn $4.95, Bullet has two .. black body / nickel door $7.50 or all nickel $9.50.

Don't know if this helps .. after market mentions armatures for generators ..
C and F with GT4001
M, M2 with GT4001A
M2 with GT4101
M2 with GAL4105

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Thanks Bill and Norm.

I believe it's is not the original distributor... maybe one from an earlier year?

I also believe the serial tag is missing, which would explain the '24 title. I'll try to get some more pics of the interior and 4 cyl. motor.

My thought is that this radiator shell looks like the one that's on Cathy's car.... '27?

Jim G.

Jim, the F model radiator shell will be an inch or inch and a half narrower than the M car. Measure at bottom or up at the point where the sides turn inward to form the little curve.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

HiJim....

Gary's car looks very similar to Ron & Gloria's Cabriolet. Theirs is a model R because of the 6 cylinder, Gary's would be an M because it is a 4 cylinder. The fenders, headlights etc are all later model Star, like the ones on Cathy's roadster and my sedan.

photo Img00640gsk04.jpg

Nice original car!

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? a lot

Thanks guys:I remember Ron and Gloria's car from the Spring Twinsburg meet.

I thought Gary didn't have the serial number tag... but he does!
This car was made in New Jershey and has a # of 420,000+ which would make it an '28 M car. Motor and head castings#'s are of 1927 which make sense.

Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Well that's mystery solved and car got 4 years newer, so W5 engine.

Jim just switch the distributors from that green roaster you are building, with Gary's, Frank may never notice

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Norm.... I hide Frank's distributor after Gary's second visit!!

I could use another water pump though....
I seem to have miss place Frank's.....ouch!!

Thanks for replys everyone. Jim.G

Where Are You From? Ohio

The Durant Motors Automobile Club