Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to remove transmission

Since my engine is in the shop being rebuilt I want to remove the transmission and have it rebuilt locally. I have some other maintenance to perform while the transmission is out of the car as well. My question is, how is the transmission driveshaft removed?

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Re: How to remove transmission

Rick:
Not just sure what you are referring to. The actual driveshaft (trans to Diff) is held on by 6 bolts at each end, at the universals.
However, the Transmission to clutch coupling would have been removed when the engine was taken out. The universal that bolts to the front of the transmission is held on to the transmission input shaft and is most likely held on by a nut. On our Durant his nut is 15/16" and the socket to remove it had to be turned down to fit into the hole. We just ground our socket down. The whole transmission can be unbolted from the frame and disassembled.
Hope this helps.
Gord & Will

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac

I have not been able to remove the transmission for the roadster yet.

I have removed just about everything from the front of the driveshaft at the rear of the transmission but have not touched the rear of the drive shaft yet. I thought that after I removed the six small bolts that hold the universal cap on that I cold pull or slide the transmission forward, but that didn't happen, the transmission didn't move.

I have not yet removed the small bolts from the rear of the driveshaft yet.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60 Roadster

Rick, remove the six small bolts on the rear of the driveshaft. This will seperate the driveshaft with rear universal from the rear pinion flange.

Next, remove the knurled nut, located at the front driveshaft splines, and pull the driveshaft rearwards from the fromt universal assembly.

Drain oil and remove the top cover for easier removal.

It may be best to remove the two nuts attaching the trans to the front trans cross brace (rather than remove the cross brace attached to trans) and then the rear bolt from the trans rear attach bracket. (Note any shims used at this point).

Now, you can remove the trans from the frame with the front driveshaft universal attached.

Trans has been removed and is now in the ship.
Thanks Don for the advice.

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

The Durant Motors Automobile Club