Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lambrecht Chevrolet Inventory Auction (500 cars)

The '28 Durant sedan sold today at the VanDerBrink Auctions for $7000.00. The person that bought this car is the same person who is buying about 90% of the cars at this auction in Peirce, NE. It be interesting to find out who this person is and where these cars are going.
Does anybody have any inside information? I have several friends attending this auction and may be able to learn something in a couple of days.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Star, 26 X 2 Stars, 27 Star, 29 Durant

Re: Lambrecht Chevrolet Inventory Auction (500 cars)

THERE WAS A MAN SENDING MANY CARS TO EUROPE FROM THIS AREA THE PAST FEW YEARS....FOR RESALE OF COURSE....

Where Are You From? SOUTHEAST PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 DURANT 60 SEDAN ; 1924 STAR TOURING

The evening news just had a segment on it. One man did sound like he came from Europe. The Cameo Chev P.U. (with one mile on it) went for $140,000.
Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The '28 Durant sedan got a some noterity, I saw it both on the evening news in the background and I also watched much of the auction where it was shown and discused....Interesting auction.

Where Are You From? Yuma AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

It was neat to 'crawl all over'. Keys were in the ignition and original headlights were in the passenger floorboard.

Where Are You From? Kansas

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Touring

Wow, talk about auction fever. It never ceases to amaze me what people will pay for things when auction fever kicks in. I don't care if some of these vehicles did have low mileage, many were still rough and would need a total restoration to even run. And once you restore them are they still original even with the low mileage? Some people just have more money than brains sometimes.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

So true. This auction was a classic example of crowd psychology by NOT charging an admission fee to an unusual event, starting with the high interest items first, TV coverage, and creating an illusion of an eccentric collector. The car dealer was definitely an oddball but certainly no financial wizard. Every car out there could have been sold back then, the money invested and reinvested, and those investments would have generated more than they sold the cars for at auction. The VanDerBrinks orchestrated this auction with the finesse of a Master Magician.
As for the bidders,,,,either they have more money than good sense or they know others even less good sense. Frank was right about the selling price of the '28 Durant hulk, the value of all our DMAC cars just increased a bit!!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

This auction has been in the news and talked about for several months.

Did anyone else watch the TV coverage about this on the history channel last Saturday night under the title "History Made now" ?

A couple of the local people that had originally traded their used cars in for new cars were trying to buy them back... but couldn't afford the prices!
Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

There's a saying around here where the city folks come out to the country auction sale and it's never been more true than this sale. "You can't outbid the lady in the floppy hat". There must have been a number of men there too with floppy hats...

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? '25 Star F Touring

Being there was quite an experience, and I did manage to bid twice, winning one truck for a friend of mine. He probably got one of the few good buys of the day: a 1963 C10 Chevy. She's banged up a little, but has all the good parts he needs to restore his grandfather's truck.

The rot in the fenders and elsewhere on some of the 'new' cars was disappointing. I really feel for the internet bidders. Looking at the pictures online as well as the cars in person, I can tell you it would be easy to overpay since the most extensive damage was usually not disclosed. There might be some shipments being refused. :-)

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club