Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lower body moulding

I am nearing completion of the body restoration and have some questions about lower body moulding. This is extruded aluminum moulding which is 3/4 wide, runs along the lengh of the sills, and has a cross-section shape simular to a "U". The installation is done by nailing it to the body in the predrilled channel holes and then bending the long edges down to meet each other and which forms the radius shape. Who would sell this type of moulding?

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Re: Lower body moulding

Hey Steve;
Got any pictures? Not sure exactly what you are talking about. I've taken my body off the frame and have it apart now, but don't really remember a molding down there. See if you can post some pictures for us to help you out.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

I am trying to put up a picture of our D75 and can not get the code to work..
I will post this to see what happens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/somethin4u/D75det1.jpg

Where Are You From? S. Vermont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 75 and more!

Sorry, can not get the link to work
paste in my photobucket link and see if you all can see the image.
~Carol

Where Are You From? S. Vermont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 75 and more!

Here ya go.

Thanks Carol and Rick for the photos.
I am describing the piece of trim that runs along the bottom of the doors and extends back to the rear fender in the photo. The special designed one on the cowl is actually stamped in the metal and this trim meets up with the cowl stamped trim.
This is aluminum trim and is nailed onto the body with the "cross section form" that is of a sort of "U" or an open "D". After it is nailed, the edges are rolled or bent closed and come together to form its present "D" shape. I am sure there are restoration supply companies that are supplying this moulding but haven't found any that have it.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Hey Steve;
Sorry for the confusion on this. I don't know if it was on my Model 65 or not. It wasn't there when I got it. Maybe Bill DeVries can check his car. It might have been specific to the Model 75 for that year. The cowl Band was an option and on the Deluxe cars. I have that on my Model 65. That is mounted by "T" bolts with a large head that goes through holes on the cowl and a nut an lock washer holds that in place. I've removed that from my cowl as well as my parking lights. That might be a tough one to find out there since there are few Model 75's around. Either you might have to make it or have it made. Hemmings have several people that advertise stainless steel work in there. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Hi Steve.....

You will find the molding on page 28 of the Restoration Supply online catalog.

Great source for unique and hard to find items......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? too many to count

The Durant Motors Automobile Club