Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
spring clamps

Anybody know if we can use the Ford style spring clamps on our cars. Need to replace mine and don't know if these will work. You know holds the springs together. Also what's the correct center bolt to use, anybody have a source for these.

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: spring clamps

Mike, center bolts can still be secured from old Dorman inventory. Dorman has now evolved into "HELP" brand parts. Otherwise, use a new 1/4" fine thread bolt of suitable length, grind the hex to a circle, hacksaw a screwdriver slot, install in spring, tighten and cut off excess thread.
Any of the clamps could be used in a pinch if they prevent the leaves from rotating out of alignment. They are mainly to prevent the leaves from slapping together during rapid flexing on a rough road.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Thanks Don! I figured you'd know since you just rebuilt the suspension on your truck.

Mike

Mike, I got to thinking, are you talking about spring leaf clamps or spring shackles?

Mike......

You should be able to get spring leaves, clamps and center bolts from any truck spring supplier. I've gotten parts from the company that does the spring work on my truck fleet.

If you need the "pins" that go in the hangers and spring eyes. the WOKR Club has a supply of new ones.

A complete replacement type shackle (not original looking) is used on some Chrysler products. Check one of Don's posts about his truck for pictures / parts info.

See Y'all in San Diego.......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? too many to count

He Don and Frank.
I'm talking about the spring clam, "U" shaped thing with the bolt through it to hold the springs together. I will also need the spring center bolt which I found on the site you sent me to Don. My springs are OK and I've taken them down to the blaster to have blasted and painted. Should pick them up today and start reassemble. My shackles ( to me the part that holds the spring to the frame) are fine and will be cleaned, blasted and reused. Thanks for the info guys. See you in San Diego.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club