Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tail light question

Just got nos bee hive lens and door 3.5", Won't mount on body, I take it the old one was replacement 3.75". Does other autos fit? or any one has a extra?

Where Are You From? Homer City PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 model 60 coupe

Re: Tail light question

Have to be careful as only the 3 1/2 one fits our cars Durant and Frontenac up to 32. Bigger one is probably Graham Paige which used ours on some models and larger on others.

K-D 241-215, Do-Ray 1008,1088C

Dodge Std 6 29 - 31, Chrysler 65, Plymouth 28 - 31, Desoto 28 - 31, Graham Paige 28. NOS boxes say Durant 65 and 1931 as well which makes no sense when it was used on 40, 60, 63, 65, 66, 70, 75 and all after 29 to 32. The pre 30 can have another lense which is indicated as plain on lower lense.

Repro ones of ours have been on ebay for years. Lad has the mold and sells blue or red ones. With and without the Dodge name in white. He was selling Durant in the red glass and I pointed out the lettering was incorrectly done, a few years back. I don't have his info.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Hey Emil & Norm
A few years back I needed one for my Model 65. Someone had put an aftermarket circa 1950's tail lite on there. Found out that mine was the same as a Dodge light. I found a Dodge, lite but had to have it nickled as according to my brochure it was. Awhile ago Frank had a contact in I believe New Zealand that would make the lens in glass with Durant on it. I believe it was about $70 then. The other company you mentioned I believe was in a plastic material.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Found it by accident on ebay Seller information chopped30

see 171095427638 and under shop he has this info ..

I have been buying and selling old car parts for a long time. I now mainly sell new and used Model A Ford parts. I also own some old glass taillight lens molds and make and sell them. Please check back often because even I do not know what I may have next. Thanks for looking

I have a pair of his red glass lenses I bought a few years ago. No not plastic Mike, those are Butters and not well made. I bought one 3 yrs ago off them at Stirling Flea Market in Ont and threw it away after. Very childish attempt in my opinion. Mike has them in Partner but doesn't say they are plastic. Lettering is formed in the plastic with a pin or something and not white. Put a light behind this lense thing and you get anywhere from clear to red splotches all over it not solid red.

Chopped30 the lettering is block lettering around the beehive up top but ours should be vertical lettering for better words. I did buy his Durant one anyway and with door. To the unknowing its great. I did send a copy of what ours should be. It was an attempt by the lad about putting Durant in the glass other than Dodge. Script lettering (Monogram) lenses or plain, are only for 30 - 32 Durant per my catalogue, pre 30 and Frontenac are plain.

Will email you a photo of it if your email works ( Gerald's attempt to your re rad ha ha)

The tail lights on my 2 29's are different than my 2 30's.

Dave

Where Are You From? Iowa

Somewhere in DMAC there are pics of the various lenses used on the 28 / 29 Durant's.

Got to keep up that motto "No Two Cars The Same"

That's the sad part. Your after market catalogues are completely different to ours. Yours have no headlights or parts and taillights is a comment on page 22 saying finished in black and chrome all models $1.85. Our corresponding catalogue breaks it down what headlights / taillights or parts are on each model. Down part of that no pic of each just a pic of the beehive at top for taillights part. That's how I can pick up the monogramed lense is used only on 406, 407, 416, 611, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618. Your 612 and 619 would also. Those models can be without monogram also.

Ours have a lot more info on all parts and why more pages.

Thanks for the information. Just picked up 3 1/2" tail light body, Had to change the lens mounting holes, made new brackets The box for the lens made by _ nx Bye Ruby Glass,T353 Tail lamp lens Dodge-Desoto and Plymouth, Durant 65 and 1931. Lots of tape on box. Lamp box No.1258 DO_RAY Lamp CO. Plymouth 28-31 Desoto 28-31 Dodge 6, 29-31 Chrysler 65,72,75 Graham-Paige 28, Durant 1931.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Durant

This was the link that was on this forum for the gentlemen in New Zealand that made the reproduction lenses. He made some for me without the lettering for my Rugby.

http://forums.aaca.org/f119/tail-light-lenses-282703.html

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby Tourer

Emile you may have touched on something which might agree with Dave's comments.

I have seen these boxes before and had one at one point with NOS lense in script and rim. It's very possible that US did not have the beehive lense for 1930 vehicles but finally did for US 1931 the last partial year of production at Lansing. Hence it not saying for 65 and 1930 - 31 Durant. Its very typical we Canadians are entirely left out for car info after 1931 when Durant was actually continued into 1933 in Leaside by Dominion Motors for Durant Motors.

Our cars 1930 did have the beehive lense to Dec 1932 Durant's and E, E-670 Frontenac's. Been a few differences US to Can you have, we don't and vice versa. You had winter fronts we didn't, in the land of ice and snow. We were told our cars were wrong by Americans, to have wire wheel spares on rear of car. Nope we had rear mounted for wires as mine does and Stephans 31. You made models we didn't and we returned the favor making our own.

Just keeps adding to the motto "No Two Cars The Same" ha ha

Re: Tail light photo

Tail light photo, can't seem to load on form.
%%bbCodeItem_1%%

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 Durant

Re: Tail light photo

Have to use photobucket to add the pics but clicking on your link brings up the pic.
Presently another repro or after market lense same as yours on ebay 251317351197. To view the scripted one check under photo's in DMAC, Durant, 1932 618 Remigi Odermatt, in Switzerland now from Ont orig.
Orig lense I believe was riveted to the door with cork gasket between glass and door. All you did was attach it with the two screws. My old 30 614 was that way, my chums 31 as well. I've seen other ones at flea markets the same. Not sure rivet is correct name but the fastening was bent over to sandwich it all, and hollow to allow the screw to pass though. Maybe grommet is better word. The tired light I got 3 yrs ago at a flea market with busted lense, was same. All one does is drill the grommet thing out and put a replacement glass in the door without.

Interesting again you had to rework your fastening part to attach the present lense. Lad here with a 1929 60 sedan I gave my NOS scripted lense and door to, had to bend the fastening part the opposite way to attach them or beehive would be top not bottom and script upside down. Is it possible the pre 30's are reverse to 30's and beehive up ? When he got the car it was red beehive up no script monogram, as it should be about monogram pre 30. They fit correctly on my 32 with beehive bottom. Nothing surprises me about our cars. Could be why the catalogues say the monogram ones are models after 29 vehicles. Both were used 30 - 32, with or without.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club