Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Still looking for a windshield wiper motor

Can't believe that no one in Durant land either has the information on what is correct or has a windshield wiper motor for my 1928 Model 65 four door sedan lying around. No response to my earlier post. I posted a request on the AACA forum and one individual stated his books had listed for Durant Trico KCX-4, KSC-114 or KSC-116 and RSL-9 but did not list which one went to which model. Anyone out there able to confirm the right number or find me one. Also still looking for a rim for my car. Have 4 matching ones but need one for the spare.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: Still looking for a windshield wiper motor

I thought I had an extra that was very similar...I will look sunday

Where Are You From? SOUTHEAST PENNA.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 DURANT 60 SEDAN ; 1924 STAR TOURING

Mike The KCX-4 is for the closed 6-14 models.There are a lot of motors close to this at most swap meets, the only difference being the switch arm.But probably different for your car. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Thanks Ross & Gary
At least now I can rull out the Kcx-4.

Thanks to Bill Devries, who owns the same model, Model 65, This appears to be what I'm looking for. How about checking out in the garage and see if you have one? Measurement between mounting holes in windshield frame, center to center of hole is 4.65" inches approximate.

photo 1928Durant007.jpg  photo 1928Durant006.jpg
 photo 1928Durant005.jpg  photo 1928Durant003.jpg

I emailed the tech guys at Trico to find out what was used on the 1928. This is their reply:

According to our April 15, 1932 Specification Sheet manual, all 1928 Durant models, except the 4 cyl and 6 cyl Sport Roadster and 6 cyl Touring model 65, used a RSL-9 wiper motor with 6 ¼” long wiper arm and 7 ¼” long wiper blade . The Durant vehicles were the only ones which used the RSL-9 motor at the time of publication of the manual.

If you need to find motor that will be functionally equivalent, the KSL-9 was a later, improved design interchangeable with the RSL-9 . The RSL series had a different interior valve mechanism from the KSL series and the screw on valve cover on the RSL was replaced by a snap on cover in the KSL series.

OK, now that I got this straight from the horses mouth, someone out there in Durant land has to have one either a RSL-9 or a KSL-9. Check them garages and parts stash.

Mike

Mike:
Could you email me the address of the tech people you contacted?
I am looking for a wiper motor for my 1930 6-14. It is electric and the ID on the unit is unreadable.
Maybe the Trico people can assist in identifying a replacement for me.

Thanks D J Federlein – igetnrd@gmail.com

Where Are You From? Port Hueneme, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 614 Deluxe sedan

Dj
I sent you a Private email with the information.

Mike

Got it - Thanks

Where Are You From? Port Hueneme, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 614 Deluxe sedan

I got the Windshield wiper motor in that I won on Ebay and it will do until I can find the correct one. It's not the right one, and I'll have to do some modifications and not sure if it will work or not, but it does fill the mounting holes correctly. The patent date is good, 1927. But I'm still looking for another one that someone might have from the 1928 period. So if someone comes across one in the garage or in a box somewhere let me know. Trico RSL-9 or KSL-9 is the correct one. Keep looking for me.

Mike

The Durant Motors Automobile Club