Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Turned but didn't catch?

The fateful day, got gas to the Zenith carb, starter works well- a little did drip out when I flooded it with the choke. But was able to get the engine to backfire through the carb a few times- but that was it.

Never caught...timing issue? Pulled the plugs and they are firing.

Whaddya think?
Jim

Where Are You From? Oswego, IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes- 23 Roadster

Re: Turned but didn't catch?

Place #1 piston on top compression and note which spark plug wire the rotor is pointing to. Are the other wires assembled in sequence on the cap?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Hmm, good point, as a bit of a noob here- and without a manual, are the cap wires going to be marked in my distributor? Bring #1 on tdc, or just thereafter, and check that my #1 wire is set to fire, right?

Thanks,
Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Roadster

Jim.... just got done doing the timing and spark wires on Cathy's M2 Star.
As Don said, you need to bring the #1 piston to top dead center after the exhaust valve opens and closes. Easiest way is to remove the front side valve cover and watch the exhaust valve(closest to the radiator)go up then down to close. Next, bring your timing mark on the flywheel(see pic) to the top centered directly above the crankshaft. Your motor is now at the #1 cylinder firing position.
If you look closely at your dist cap, you will see a small notch or flat on the bottom edge where the cap fits into a notch in the distributor so it won't spin. The spark plug wire hole directly above the notch is the #1 wire hole. Your points should be set open to spark.
I didn't know until I read it in the Star repair book that Frank sells!

photo 100_6392600x452.jpg

photo 100_6407600x452.jpg

Hope I got this right... how about it Don? Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Even though I live in Texas, I use the old Arkansas wrench benders method to find top center on compression. Stick your finger in the spark plug hole but don't screw it in too tight. When it blows out,,,,,, you're there!!!

Thanks to both of you, I was able to bring my #1 up (need to determine it is on compression and not exhaust stroke) and have my distributor all lined up- BUT my flywheel mark is not aligned to TDC. My flywheel has a crude arrow and a few numbers stamped into the outside face, but it is a tad dirty so I need to see if there are potentially other marks, and I may be using incorrect timing marks. If this is the only marking, I may have a bigger issue if someone changed the chain and/or flywheel?

Is the flywheel marking normally an arrow with numbers?

Thanks again,
Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? '23 Roadster

Jim... Not sure what the "usual" markings are, but I do know the flywheel bolts are spaced on this '27 M2 so it will only fit on the crankshaft in one position. Jim

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

The Durant Motors Automobile Club