Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
to plate or not to plate?

Burning the forum up this week but I always defer to my fellow Durantonians for advise since you all are the experts on this, far more knowledgeable than I. 1928 Durant radiator emblem. Blue "D" with white background. Was the metal plated or not. Brass plated or gold? I'm going to send mine off to get restored and they want to know how it is plated or if it is. The one I have has no plating on it right now and doesn't look like it had, but it could have worn off in all the years since it was made. Anybody know?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: to plate or not to plate?

Mike I think sometimes it's what you think would look nice and would like to see on there kind of put that personal touch into the car go with your gut feeling.

Where Are You From? Wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star coupster

Thanks Mike for your reply. I'm a purist at heart, when I restore furniture or my car I like to put things back they way they were when the were made. With the car I'm trying to get it back like it left the factory, or as close as I can get it. They sometimes painted the cars with a garden hose, well I'm not going to do that and I will use a base coat/clear coat for paint but as far as the parts go, she's going to be original if at all possible. The company that is going to refinish the emblem sent a picture of a 29 emblem that was obviously gold plated. I checked Durant emblem photographs by googling it and it's hard to tell. Most of the pictures are older cars so the metal has tarnished with age. Someone has to have a good one in their collection that is original.

Thought there was a page in DMAC that had every rad crest on it from 1921 to 1934 be it Durant, Star, Loco, Dort, Conny, DeVaux, Fronty. Can't seem to find it. Not sure it would give an idea of plating.

Appear to me they were brass plated or were all brass for 28 / 29 which goes that dull brown with age. Anyone ever see a rusted 28 / 29 surround other than the backing and washer into the rad shell ? Such intelligence ... make the entire crest rust proof but the most important part, out of thin rust able metal so crests fall off. Watched a Gray Dort crest fall to the ground years back, with rusty mess in rad shell hole.

I know the 30 - 33 were copper flashed first so the cloisonné reflects the red so well, then chromed after cloisonné was done. Same rust able backing.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

I have a copy of the page Norm is referring to. The "frame" is clearly plated with nickel or chrome. The rest is not shiny but is probably plated as well.

Vince

Where Are You From? Greenbrae, CA (North of the Golden Gate Bridge)

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

Here is the picture of the rad badges poster that Jeff Gillis made.

This may help......Frank

photo DurantBadges3.jpg

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? some

Hey Frank, thanks, Vince already emailed a copy of this but it is hard to tell if its plated, buffed or what. Checking around the internet for pictures I've seen them in a kind of nickel finish, I've seen a brass or maybe it is a gold finish. You got some original cars out there, how are they, plated or not? Obviously if I have to have it plate in gold, it is going to be more expensive.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club