Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A thing of beauty!

I had my bronze Tillotson MV-1A carburetor rebuilt and it came out so pretty I didn't want to bolt it on the car - but I did. The car runs 5 mph faster, the engine is smoother and I can actually adjust the mixture. I put the vendor's contact information on the Restoration Recommendations page.

P.S. Can anyone tell me what the small bolt on top of the air intake is for? It's not a stop for the choke and I don't think the carburetor ever had a filter.

Where Are You From? Greenbrae, CA (North of the Golden Gate Bridge)

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

Re: A thing of beauty!

Hi Vince;
What model Tillotson is that? I'm rebuilding my model 13B right now. Do you know what kind of paint he used on the carb? I've stripped mine down to the bare metal which is that pot metal gray color.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

When I bought my Durant in 1957 it had an extension of the same diameter of the air intake that extended to the exhaust pipe and held in place with that screw. As the car was completely original except for the exhaust system I presumed it originally intersected with the exhaust pipe and fed hot air direct into the carburetor. Good luck with your restoration. Regards Graham

Where Are You From? Lake Taupo, New Zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Durant A22 Sport Tourer

Mike, When I was replacing the gasket I went ahead and polished my carb.the old fashion way that I learned in the Army, brush,Brasso and a polishing cloth. I, like you, didn't have the heart to mess up that attractive piece after I finished it. It really is worth the effort.

Where Are You From? Kokomo,Ind.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star speedster

Mike, its a MV-1A and it is made of bronze. That's the natural color after it's been cleaned.

Vince

Graham, i think you're right. Thanks.

Vince

Vince, I forgot to mention the extension to the exhaust pipe had a revolving covering sleeve that when rotated exposed an oval hole in the pipe to let cold air into the carburetor mixed obviously with the hot exhaust gas. I will look for this part and try to send a photo of it. Finding it might be a problem as I did not refit it to the original carburetor when completing the 1999 restoration of JIMMIE. I had used a "Model A Ford" Japanese replica carburetor for the previous 40 years and I must say it was much more economical than the original restored Tillotson but it is 'A thing of beauty'to look at just like yours. Regards Graham

Where Are You From? Lake Taupo, New Zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Durant A22 Sport Tourer

Vince, I don't think I'm seeing the vendor you put on the restoration recommendations board. Can you tell me whom the vendor is? Thanks!

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 A-22 Touring

The rebuilder is Classic Carburetor (602) 971-3300 in Phoenix, AZ

The Durant Motors Automobile Club