Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GM Purchases the old Durant/Dort Carriage plant in Flint, Michigan

Got this post from Hemmings today, some interesting history. Lance reported on this earlier in this forum. It will be interesting to see what they do with it and if the DMAC will have any input in it with big GM owning the building. Probably more GM history than Durant Motors.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2013/05/16/why-did-gm-buy-another-auto-companys-historic-factory/?refer=news

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Re: GM Purchases the old Durant/Dort Carriage plant in Flint, Michigan

I read the story on Hemmings and it sounds like their not sure what to do with the factory and are seeking suggestions. I hope Frank, Bob or Rick throw in the clubs 2cents worth an suggest a home and museum for the D.M.A.C.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? By Dominion Motors of Canada 1933/4 Frontenac C400

Hi Steve;
I spoke in length with one of the individuals involved, a retired GM/Corvette person who still lives in Flint. When I spoke with him he gave me the impression that they weren't real organized yet and did not know who or how the thing was going to be managed or exactly what they were going to do with it. We agreed to stay in touch and that the DMAC would be amiable to help out in any way and would be approachable. By reading the article and such it seems that since GM had purchased the facility that they and not an independent non-profit organization will be running the facility. They also said it would be possibly used to house early GM vehicles and GM vehicles manufactured in Flint and not necessarily other Billy Durant projects. It's just too early to tell if they will let the DMAC participate with them to provide the Durant Motors year cars to be displayed or that they will even recognize those years outside of the General Motors years. Time will tell.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Thanks for your update Mike, When I read the story there was mentioned that no G.M. vehicles were ever produced there, so it would seem that Durant cars & products would be a perfect fit, even Franks old buggy would be perfectly at home home there.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933/4 Frontenac C400 by Dominion Motors Canada

The Durant Motors Automobile Club