Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gas tank pick-up tube?

Does anyone know on a '24 Star does the tube inside the tank come out if I unscrew the fitting to the fuel line? I want to see how much tube is left but can't see it due to the filler neck being clear on the opposite side of the tank...can't even see on an angle.

Thanks,
Jim

Where Are You From? IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star Roadster

Re: Gas tank pick-up tube?

Jim,
The internal fuel line is attached to the fitting which is soldered to the tank wall. You must remove the end of the tank to repair the pick up line.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? 23 Star, 27 Star, 29 Durant

Yikes, so that sounds fairly permanent. Approximately how far down does the tube, or should the tube, extend? All the way to the bottom?

Thanks,
Jim

Where Are You From? IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, '24 Star

Jim:
I just finished doing the tank for Frank and Cathy's '27 Star and though I'm not sure if it is the same... it sounds as though it has the same concept.

In the front of the tank there was a plug screwed into the old gas line fitting, but I could see the old line inside of the tank by looking through the pickup tube in the other side of the tank.

In this tank, the old line runs from the fitting to the bottom of the tank and then turns and continues about 3/4 of the way across the bottom of the tank toward the drain plug. Also, there is a small rectangle shape in the bottom of the tank that has a clip attached to the line and holds it into place inside the tank.

This tank now gets it gas from the screw on pickup tube in the front top part of the tank. Heres a couple of pics.
Hope this helps, Jim G.

photo 100_6266600x452.jpg

photo 100_6271600x452.jpg

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Thanks for the perspective- my '24 is a tad different in shape and design. I assume my pick-up tube is there but it'd be nice to know how much gas I need to pump in to get to its level. I guess I need some sort of mini-camera to see deep in there....wishful thinking on my part. I tried a dental mirror but no luck.

Thanks,
Jim

Where Are You From? IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club