Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Odus Raymer's Durant

I know many of you knew my Dad. Odus Raymer. He had the 1931 614 Sedan Durant pictured on the Index page of Photographs here. Dad just passed away in March at the age of 92. He lived with my husband and I in Oklahoma for over 3 years. Dad left the Durant to me. I thought I would take it to shows and such but it's no fun without Dad anymore. The Durant and Dad were synonymous.
I hope to find a Durant enthusiast to buy it but I really don't know what price to put on it right now. I see other Durants for sale but Dad's has extras on his car they don't have so I really can't gauge a price for it comparing it to those for sale.
If there is anyone who could help me figure a fair price that I can actually expect to get it sold, I would appreciate the help. I can send detailed photos and tell you anything you want to know about it.
My husband drives it and can answer any questions. He has been around my Dad for 40 years and knows much about this car. The car runs fine.
Just a note for those of you who knew my Dad...My husband drove the Durant to the funeral home for the memorial. Dad was cremated and he got his last ride home in the Durant. That was my husband's idea and it was very touching and Dad would have loved it.
So please email me at pookababe@gmail.com
Wendy
Also want to add that if you want to read more about my Dad's car it was featured in detail in the April 2006 Issue of Hemmings Classic Car Magazine. I remember how proud he was of that.

Where Are You From? Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Odus Raymer's Durant

Hi Wendy;
Sorry to hear that your Dad passed as it's a loss to the Durant Family anytime we lose a fellow Durantonian. His restoration was a fine example of what someone can do with a labor of love and some talent. When we restore these cars from ground up or own these any length of time we become attached to them and proud of them. Your Dad was obviously that way too. It was very nice and appropriate that you Dad had his last ride in the car he painstakingly restored with his own two hands. I'm sure he was looking down and smiling for sure. I know there are pictures of your Dad's car in the photograph section, but these might be dated, so if you can take a good set of pictures and post them here it might help with adoption of your Dad's car by another caring individual with the Durant club.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

Thanks for replying. Yes I will get some updated photos....one day this week for sure. It's looks pretty much the same. We don't drive it much only to keep it in running condition. In the last 4 years we have only taken it out a few times to take Dad a ride. My husband keeps up with the maintenance and starts it every so often so it's time to get it out and run it a little bit.
We also have my Dad's restored '55 Packard for sale as well. I have my hands full for sure.

Where Are You From? Broken Arrow, OK

Sorry it has taken me so long to get photos up of Dad's car. I can't believe a whole month has gone by since I said I would get photos up.
As you know, we have had a lot of weather problems here in Oklahoma that has prevented me from taking photos. Just one thing, then another.

However, we did get out to take photos today. I realized after I got back home that I didn't get photos of the engine. I did however get videos of it running which are here. Here are a couple videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhRJlW0EaaY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCDL9qOhWko

If you have any trouble getting to the links by copy and pasting...then http://www.youtube.com/user/PookaBabe and then search for Durant in all my videos.

Here is a link to the photographs that I took today of the Durant. {Also are a few photos of the 1955 Packard that Dad also had.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/95683553@N03/

Here's the story on the cars. I have been made an offer for both cars together from a local buyer in the last two weeks. I haven't agreed to the price yet because I wanted to see if anyone in the DMAC wanted the Durant alone.

This is an emotional hardship on me because Dad loved that car. It was a highlight of HIS life. I wanted to keep it but when I lost my Dad, I lost the desire for the car. I didn't expect that. Dad was the Durant....without him here the Durant makes me sad. That's it in a nutshell. My husband is the one that knows the insides of the car. I just drove it on occasion. Dad was choosy about who drove that car. Very choosy. I felt very special to get to drive it. Scared to death, lol, but special.

I want someone who appreciates Durant to be able to have a chance to get it. The man here in BA that has offered me a fair offer for both cars never even heard of the Durant Cars. He is a car dealer but owns his own antique cars.
I am afraid that he has in mind to sell them both to make money.
At least that was my husband's opinion.
He has no emotion about a Durant. He is a good man but business is business.
I worry about where it will end up. Maybe through him a Durant guy will get it but who knows.

I want to make this available at least to those who know about Durants and who knew my Dad.

I would like $17,000 for the Durant...and $12,000 for the Packard. That beats the guys price here in BA by a couple thousand dollars but I think it's fair for the cars.

The Durant runs fine....a little tricky to get it started but once it goes it runs smooth as you can hear in the videos. My Dad didn't let the car sit for long....local parades several times a year or just to take her out for a spin he would do.
Since we have had it we have more or less just started it from time to time or took Dad for a short drive in town.
My husband did a little work on the carburetor since it was a little dry and gas had drained back down and he worked on getting the gas running through....and since then, it starts right up with a few cranks of the engine. We start it up about once every month or two.

There are a few upholstery tears or where it has pulled out. Dad had patched the drivers seat as you can see in the photos.

The gas gauge does not work.....one of the things Dad didn't get around to doing. Didn't bother him much, lol, he just carried a wooden stick with him to check it.

We are having an urgent trip in the next week or soon after....and I am wanting to finalize either the offer here or get a serious commitment from another buyer.

It's my fault to rush this as I didn't get these photos done but it's the best I could do at this time.

So please email me if there are any serious inquiries or I will have to go with the local offer within 5-7 days.
Someone either wants it and knows it or they don't I figure.

Thanks for letting me post here and I hope I have answered anything important.

Wendy Rose Raymer Alvarez
You can either email through the link here or just directly email me.
pookababe@gmail.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Thanks Rick for integrating those videos in the message.

I forgot this video....
This one is of the motor running up close.
http://youtu.be/J3Bh6ZYwwOw

Wendy

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Here you go Wendy, Happy to help.

A picture of Odus and his car still hang on my garage wall.

Rick

Re: Odus Raymer's Durant....The Durant is SOLD....

Yes, the car is sold. It is really an emotional time for me to say goodbye to it. I have tried to tell myself it's the right thing to do because I physically can't keep up with all that needs to be done to maintain it.
Selling it makes me realize all the more that Dad is gone.
If you liked my Dad it's because he was a good man. An honorable man that would have given the shirt off his back anytime for anyone.
Dad lived what he preached. He set a wonderful example and I am proud to call him my Dad.
Wendy

Where Are You From? Broken Arrow, OK

Re: Odus Raymer's Durant....The Durant is SOLD....

Hi Wendy;
Sure hope someone that is going to appreciate the car as much as your Dad and your family did purchased it. If they are not a club member, let them know we are around. If it is a club member than even better. Your Dad did an excellent restoration and the car is a fine example of a Durant. Has all the bells and whistles and would be a fine car for anyone to add to their collection.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

The Durant Motors Automobile Club