Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Serial number

I've seen a few posts about trying to find the right serial number. I don't have the Body ID but I do have the engine ID. I'm told the car is a 1926 Star (Coach). I've posted a few pictures on here before and there's really not much of the car. The engine's tag says Star 356528. It then has W5A 600 C stamped on the engine with a second line reading 11 A C.

I see someone selling 1926 Durant Star Body plates for $200 on ebay... Would I need this body plate to get this car registered with the DMV? I guess my next quesiton is how would you know if that body plate is already registered to a working star... Sorry if these questions are answered on a different thread.

thanks for any input you might have.

Jay

Where Are You From? LA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

Re: Serial number

Hi Jay;
I'll put in my two cents worth. It depends on your state. Some will only take the engine number as the serial number for the Title and some don't. In Florida here, it doesn't matter what number you have on the plate on the firewall they will only use the engine number plate and if you can't drive it to them to prove you have to have a local Law Enforcement Officer come by to sign a form verifying it before they will issue you a title. I know there are several other states that do this. Since the ID plate is screwed on, I guess they thought the engine plate was much more permanent I guess. Don't know how they handled engine swaps back then, but I'd check with your local tag or license office to see what they require.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Just for snicks and grins- here in Illinois they will only use the body ID tag as they reason that an engine can be swapped out easier- so here you'll need the firewall tag.
We also have to have an officer come to the home to inspect the tag in person- ever since they cracked down on hot-rodders who register a 350cc V-8 as a Model T. It has slowed the process but is still workable.

Where Are You From? Illinois

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star

Jay I been working on the Durant Registry and can help. Please e-mail me and we can sort this out. But 1st. like mentioned find out what your D.M.V. needs to get a title.

Where Are You From? Mississauga Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1933/34 Frontenac C-400

i have seen titles for sale for many star and durant cars....what body style do you have?...they are sold "for collector use only"....but.....you understand.....cost is about $175 for the one i got....

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Thanks for all the information.

It's a 1926 Star (Coach) Body style

Jay

Where Are You From? LA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

I would contact your DMV and see what they advise. In Utah I was able to obtain a title for my 25 Star by submitting the proper paper work including where I bought the car (in Montana) and the history I knew about it with a bunch of pictures. I sent in pictures that showed that the car was in really rough shape. In Utah if something is homemade, such as my trailer or a Hot Rod the State will issue a Vin number and title, they may do this is LA if there is no number on the car. There are repo ID plates for sale in the Partner you may want to consider one of these and stamp the engine number on it and have the car titled that way. I also believe that for a small fee that there are still some states that have very lax titling laws and an internet search should turn up a company that will get you a title, though from a different state. I have a friend who has done this and if you can’t find source I will see how he went about it. Good Luck

Where Are You From? Farr West UT

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star, 26 Flint

The Durant Motors Automobile Club