Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question on Tillotson Carb JR5A

I have an older carb here on the shelf- a Tillotson JR5A is which an after market J5A updraft carb for a 20's car. Anyone ever try or run one of these things on a Star or Durant? Just wondering as it is built strong and no-nonsense.

Thanks- just wondering,
Jim Chocole

Where Are You From? Oswego, IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star

Re: Question on Tillotson Carb JR5A

Hey Jim.
I have read a bunch of the forum posts on here and it seems that not that many people are fans of the tillotson carbs. mostly the old ones made of pot metal that start to fall apart i guess. I do not know this first hand since mine had an old zenith that even automotive test systems cant tell me anything about even with the number off it. And i thought you had a new zenith carb for yours. Having second thoughts on using it?
Hope works out either way.
jeff

Where Are You From? spokane washington

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star m touring

I am also using a Zenith 13922- but have a Tillotson sitting around getting dusty.

Where Are You From? Illinois

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Roadster

Jim;
My two cents worth. When I bought my car, it did not have an original Tillotson carb on it either. Since I'm trying to do a factory original restoration, I searched hi an low and finally found one last September in Gary K's garage that is the correct model number for my car. When I was looking I contacted the carb doctor or something on the Internet as recommended by members of the AACA on their forum. He told me that he would not work on or rebuild a Tillotson of that age since they wre made of pot medal and the literally often just crumbled apart. With our cars and the exhaust pipe under the carb, a leak could be real hazard. With that said, I called the guy to get a price for a rebuild kit for the Tillotson and he quoted my $495.00 for the rebuild kit. Much more than Mr. Gary is charging me for the carb. I don't know if in the rebuild process you could epoxy coat it or not to keep it from falling apart, as I guess it would depend on the condition it was in in the first place. I will probably drive my car with another carb and use the Tillotson for show.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

I have a tillotson on my car. It was rebuilt by an former member named Harvey Frid who has since passed away. He made new pot metal parts and it is a great job. If you can find anyone who can pour new tops the carb works good. I can send pics if anyone is interested.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 durant Model 614 - Deluxe rumble seat coupe

Ken,
Sure would- please post pics if practicable.

Thanks,
Jim

Sorry Jim--I was wrong--I have a stromberg carb -- Have pics of it tho if it will be any help
Ken

I am still running with the original Tillotson Carb. It was reconditioned 15 years ago and a new brass top plate and float made for it. The original bowl is Brass or Bronze and the the car will not start until the carb is flooding. I would like to see a photo of the one you mention as I cannot find a number on mine. I would like a new one as it is very inefficient getting about a mile to the quart and at $3.00 a quart I don't travel very far or often in JIMMIE.

Where Are You From? Lake Taupo, New Zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 A22 Durant Sport Tourer

Yes Ken, Stromberg U2 on your 1930 22A engine. U1 on the W8. Mine is Tillotson J4A and seemed to work fine, once a tiny air hole I missed was opened.

Jim, the JR5A is R for replacement and as you say after market, seems to be on Ebay often. J5A used on the 1931 619 Durant and with adaptor Chevy as well. We used J4A, J6A, and J7A on vehicles with Dominion.
Seems the W8A after market covered all 6 cyl 30 - 32, Durant / Frontenac, except 617 which is pre 30 running gear, but 30 body /fenders, 50 / 50 car.

I know pre 30 carbs will not fit the 22A manifold and probably vice versa. Since we couldn't get Dot to run with the J4A, because that hole was missed, we tried to use a carb for a 15L and discovered no way with bolts no where near the manifold holes and smaller throat. Back to the J4A to wonder why and found the pin hole vent blocked on the neck. Once opened and back on the car, she roared to life for 1st time since 1961. Ran good and strong, like she just rolled out of the factory. Lot of folks still using orig carbs with no problem. Frank looks after the replacement Zeniths.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan by Dominion Motors

Graham,
Glad to help- here is a pic of a JR5A carburetor on Ebay now. Click link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300862877182?item=300862877182&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Graham .. did you check Links in DMAC under carbs Durant. That has Jon's site of info. You won't find our Dominion carbs nor Fronty, since Jon used Branhams 'bible' for info. He had never heard of our carbs nor cars and refused to update his info without factory papers. Said good luck as we can't find any either but all cars exist. Branhams is US only and used by Terry for his site, and why our Canadian side is lacking, he told me.

Looks like yours is Tillotson L 3568 for A22 21 - 26. B 22 has a Rayfield MR4V

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan by Dominion Motors

Do you still have the jr5a carburetor?

Where Are You From? Williamston NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 whippet

There is a parts JRA (whatever that is) on eBay for $22. 281981762570 If you put JR5A in eBay there are 4 of them for sale. 222611412274 263103802942 122561825794 332096996089

Per Jon’s site Whippet used these. JR5A would have a wider bolt spacing to the S series I would think which is why they don’t fit our pre 30 vehicle manifolds and vice versa the pre 30 won't fit the 30 - 32.

Whippet applications and repair kits

Year Engine Model Carburetor Type

1926 4 96 (Export) Tillotson S-4AF
1926 4 96 Tillotson S-4A

1926 6 93 Tillotson SE-4A

1927 4 96 Tillotson S-4B

1927 6 93A Tillotson SE-4C

1928 4 96 (Export) Tillotson S-4CF

1928 4 96 Tillotson S-4C

1928 6 98 Tillotson SP-16A

1929 4 96 Tillotson S-4D

1929 6 98A Tillotson SP-19C

1930 4 96 Tillotson S-4D

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 sedan

I got one of those recent carbs on ebay. Had purchased a couple others years ago for parts so I'd have enough stuff for an original on my 31 model 619.
Thats what it came with and it run although the Tillotson seems so complex and so many moving parts. It was pretty leaky but run. i put a new Zenith on it to drive. Works great. Still have boxes of JR5's and 5A's. Metal seems Ok on some. Maybe someday...

Where Are You From? Iowa

Hi Wayne .. the 1931 US 619 used the J5A which wasn't used here. Oddly our 1931 / 32 Dominion cars used J4A, J6A and J7A or could use W8A. Jon the carb king had never heard of our carbs. My 32 614 has the J4A.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club