Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Painting question

Ok Durantonians, I need some help again. I painted my fellow's and brake drums with Acrylic Enamel several weeks ago. For a first time painting project most came out well. A couple of pieces upon examination a couple of days ago had some areas that I did not get full coverage for. There is a few places that the primer is showing a bit. My question is this. I read the paint instructions and it stated to put 3 coats of medium build paint layers on. Now that I have to touch them up, do I need to sand the area or just apply the paint? Should I shoot the whole piece again or just the area that needs the paint? I need your thoughts on this. They look real good and I don't want to mess them up now.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida (Near Orlando)

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door

Re: Painting question

If it were me I think I would lightly scuff the part with a 3M scotch brite pad, maybe a maroon, then re-shoot the part, that way you won't have any overspray on the part to deal with...Less of coarse it is a real big part.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hi Mike;
I see from your recent posts that you have not only gone into the spoke wheel refinishing business, but you're learning a new trade.. Painting.
I've always thought the hardest part about painting was not the actual spraying of the parts, but what to do when things don't turn out exactly how you want them to.
So, you say you used acrylic enamel... hopefully you also added hardner before you reduced and sprayed your parts. ALWAYS use hardner!

It is possible to touch up and blend areas by melting the overspray with a blend of mostly reduced, but this takes some practice. In your case, I agree with Bill and would definitly respray the entire part. Scuffing is not necessary, but I always lightly scuff over my resprays with a piece of 400 or the fine scuffpad... being very carefull not to dig-in if the paint is too soft.
I'd spray the bad areas first until covered, then a mist coat and a final coat on the rest. Take your time, should be fine.

Jim G.

Where Are You From? Ohio

Do You own a car built by Durant? Flints

Thanks Bill & Jim;
I knew someone would come to my aid. Yes Jim i used the Restoration Shop's acrylic enamel with hardener. For the most part except for a couple of small on the top of a couple of brake drums where the part was hanging higher than I could see and one small area on one of the Fellows everything turned out great and they look great. I'll take your advice and probably re-shoot them later this week. I'm anxious to get them done so I can assemble the wheels. We are having great weather down here, in the 80's with very low humidity so it's great painting weather.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club