Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is oil pressure controlled by a spring and ball on a 14L engine?

I have completely disassembles and re assembled the Continental 14L engine from my 1928 D60. This is an early 14L, 163 cu.in., not the more popular 185 cu.in. I'm now ready to start it for the first time since the re-assembly, but I'm concerned about oil pressure. I notice in the service manual for the Model 40 (found in the technical pages of this website), that the oil pressure is controlled by a ball and spring in what appears the front end of the camshaft. I also notice that the 4 cylinder engine is very similar to the 6 cylinder 14L. What I'm concerned about is that I don't recall seeing a ball and spring in the end of my camshaft. Did I inadvertently lost the ball and spring during disaaembly or does the 14L controls its oil pressure in a different way?

Would anyone who has rebuilt a 14L be kind and help me with my fears?

Thank you,

Claude Lavoie

Where Are You From? Iroquois, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D-60

Re: Is oil pressure controlled by a spring and ball on a 14L engine?

Hey Claude,
You didn't see nor misplace the ball in the end of your camshaft because there isn't one. The main thing in common with the four cylinder and the six is they are both Continentals. Other than that, not much except the spark plugs.
All 14L's have a side mounted external oil pump. The 163's should have a ball and spring under the hex nut and the 185's should have a plunger and spring. Do not swap balls and plungers because the sealing seat is ground different.
The six cylinder has a much better oiling system setup than the four's and is much easier to replace and adjust.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Thanks a million Don, this is great news. I'll be able to start and run the engine this weekend. I sure will keep an eye on the pressure gauge.

Thanks again.

Claude

Hello Don,

Thank you for your help yesterday about the oil pressure regulation on a 14L engine. I started the engine today and it ran beautifully with 25 lbs oil pressure at idle speed and 40 lbs at approx 2000 RPM. Wonderful!

I sure appreciate your expertise.

Thanks again!

Claude Lavoie

Glad to hear that it's running smooth right off the bat! I'm very close to installing the engine in my '29 D60. Before I start it I will have to pump oil into the engine to pressurize the pipes and bearings.
Tomorrow, Saturday, I am driving my '49 Dodge in the first ever Arkansas Mardi Gra parade, and it's right here in Texarkana. Next year, I will definitely drive a Durant product in it.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

I’ve had two 185ci 14L engines, one in my 29 Roadster and a spare 14L that came from the factory with a 15L head. Both engines used a ball and spring to control oil pressure. Now another person close by with a 1929 model 60 from the same Oakland factory has a plunger for oil pressure, go figure.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

The Durant Motors Automobile Club