Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DMAC East Coast Chapter Spring Meet, Corning, New York April 18th - April 21st 2013

Hello everyone;
It looks like plans are almost made for the 2013 DMAC East Coast Chapter Spring meet. This year it will be in beautiful Corning, New York. Part of the Finger Lake region of New York, it is a great place to visit with lots to do. The dates will be April 18th through the 21st 2013 with arrival date of April 18th. I'm negotiating now with the best hotel and should have something this afternoon and will post it over the weekend with my decision of who gives us the best bang for the buck. I always try to negotiate hard for our business and give you a great place to stay with things to do. The full itinerary is not finished yet, but I intend to have us tour the Corning Glass Factory Museum one day and then the Glenn Curtis Aircraft Manufacturer museum another. I May slide some other things in there too. The are is rich with small town shopping, quaint towns and good places to eat as well as some wineries for those who like to check them out. I can't guarantee the weather, but we can hope for the best spring. It's close for our Canadian members to drop down and see us too! More to follow.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Re: DMAC East Coast Chapter Spring Meet, Corning, New York April 18th - April 21st 2013

Glad we have the dates, hopefully the weather will be good. Will be checking back in for the hotel info.

Where Are You From? PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: DMAC East Coast Chapter Spring Meet, Corning, New York April 18th - April 21st 2013

Information on hotel for the event. Please wait until Wednesday 02/06/2013 before attempting to make reservations.

RADISSON HOTEL CORNING
125 Denison Parkway East
Corning, New York 14830

$79.00 per night plus tax

Reservations may be made by calling the Hotel directly at 607-962-5000 or by calling Radisson Reservations Worldwide at 800-333-3333. Please have your guest’s request the “Durant Motors” Room Block to receive the special rate. Your guests may also make their reservations on line by going to www.radisson.com. Once on the web site, they need to request Corning, NY location and type in DURANT under the promotional code block.

I negotiated hard and this is about $71 below their normal rate and $33 below their online pre-paid rate.

The hotel has assured me that they have ample parking for car trailers and that there is also a municipal lot behind the hotel which I will try and gain access to if need be. This hotel is located in the downtown/historic part of town with plenty of shopping and restaurants around.

Great way to start you spring time the Durant way! Hope to see you all there!

Thanks Mike will make our reservations on the week end. looks like a nice place even a pool which will come in handy and eating right there Great. We are looking forward to it. Karen

Where Are You From? Pa

Way to go Mike on the price negotiations. Dorothy and I are looking forward to making the trip to Corning.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Mike , great work !!! You can buy my next car for me.
Mary & I will be there.

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON

Hi All.....

Cathy, Ginny (the B-22) and I will be there.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again....

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? some

Made our reservations today so we are all set.

Where Are You From? Pa

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

Dorothy and I are now register.

Where Are You From? Muskegon, MI

Great everyone. We have until Mid March before the hotel releases the room at that great rate. Hopefully we will have a great turnout.

Got about 3 weeks or so before the discount rate at the hotel is no more. Should be a great meet and close for a number of people, under 8 hour trip. I've asked for the gas to go lower by then also. I'm sure the powers to be would not interfere with a Durant meet. If you haven't been to a Durant meet, it's a chance to see what they are all about and meet everyone. I guarantee you'll have a great time.

Hi All......

Our reservations are made.

Cathy & I are looking forward to being there and seeing old friends and making new ones.

Looks like a good turn out and the chance to see some cars that haven't been seen before.

See Y'all in Corning!!!

Frank ---

Great Frank! I look forward to seeing the new car. About 3 weeks left to make reservations, so don't delay. Great time to brush off the snow, warm the ole car up and get her out for a spring run.

Reservations are made. We are looking forward to another GREAT meet!

Bill and Annjean

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, Michigan

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Great Bill and Annjean, wouldn't be the same without you there.

okay friends....i am set up to meet you at the meet.....i will drive up from s.e. penna on thurs day to arrive by noon i hope.....see you there....

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

OK Durantonians, you have about a week or so to make your reservation at the hotel. This can be done by calling the hotel or going online and booking at www.Radisson.com and putting in "Durant" in the promotional code. The Instructions are on the left under Club Events. Think positive the snow is going to be gone and the spring flowers will be blooming in beautiful upstate New York. I've made my hotel reservation and tomorrow will make my air reservation. You know you want to go and you can bet you'll have a great time and meet some great people. If you have that nagging Durant question, or need some advice on how to fix this or that, someone at the event will have probably fixed it or found the solution so make those reservations. Hey even if it's cool in temperature, bring those blankets for the cars to throw over you. See you there!

Booked the hotel and my airfare into Corning/Elmira! I'm set to go, now if the snow melts and we have great weather. Anybody have snow tires for the Star/Durants?

Hi all......

The snow will be gone and we can expect great weather!

I've got my tire chains and "Monkey links" Cathy has her blanket & foot warmer!!

See Y'all in Corning....

Frank ---

Mike:
We will be driving the RV home from Sun N Fun in Lakeland, Florida about the time the meet is on in Corning. If we find it feasible, we will try to detour around that way. I will not register, just drop in if I can.
Gordon & Mary Carolyne

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd., Leaside

Hi Gord;
Don't have to register for this one, just those staying in the hotel have to make their reservations by the 18th so they can get the discount rate. You know your always welcome and I understand we will have more of the Canadian crowd down with us. Love it! To the rest bringing cars FYI. Friday trip is real short, but Saturday is about 60 miles R/T. So make sure she's tuned up, purring like a kitten and ready for a road trip. We will have a chase vehicle to help out if need be, but Durant's break down,NEVER!

Mike is the informations posted somewhere the locations where we are going I see you have posted Saturday is a distance to go, just curious as to where we will be heading? Karen

Where Are You From? Pa

Hi Karen;
So far here is what we are going to do. Thursday is travel day, nothing planned, hospitality room open as soon as I can get it open. Probably in the afternoon or evening. Friday around 09:00 AM a short and I mean short, drive from the hotel to the Corning Glass museum. There we will see glass exhibits over several centuries old and see live glass blowing demonstrations. Should be there about two hours or so. After that it's off to lunch probably in downtown Corning. Haven't made plans for Friday afternoon yet, but will let individuals break out and do what they want to. Saturday we head out at 09:00 and travel about 32 miles up to Hammondsport, New York to the Glenn Curtiss Motorcycle and aircraft museum. About two hours there, maybe less and then depending on time, it is off to a historic early 1800's winery for a short stop, picture taking and for those who indulge, wine tasting possibly. Working that out now with the winery. It is on the National Historic Registry as one of the oldest in the country and a very beautiful old stone building in a great setting.. Then it is off to lunch at a local restaurant and then back to Corning. We should be back, barring any problems around 3:00. Either Friday or Saturday night we will have a short meeting so Frank can bring everyone up to snuff on what is going on with the DMAC. I'm still trying to lock in the discount group tickets and I'm not sure of the winery since they usually don't open to May I think, so that may not be on the agenda. As usual for the ECC meetings we try to leave the afternoons open for everyone to do what they want either talk cars or go shopping as I understand there is some good Mom and Pop stores in downtown Corning. If there is anything else anyone would like to add, just let me know and we will see if we can fit it in. I will have meeting schedule and maps with phone numbers etc upon arrival at the hotel for everyone on Thursday evening.

Haven't got an exact number since we don't register for Chapter events, but looks like we're going to have a good turnout. Some of the regulars, some new people and some of our Canadian members coming down. I already posted a rough idea of what we will be doing basically, with the possibility of some minor changes. It's not too late to register at the hotel, I think our cut off date is the 18th, one month from the event, so come on and take the plunge. Call the hotel and make your reservation, and make your plans to join us in Corning. Even if you do not have a car, or your car is not running, or restored, come anyway. I've been doing that for years as my car is under restoration and has been. I try to never miss an event if it can be helped for each time I meet some new friends, get a chance to catch up with old friends and learn a ton of information to help me restore my car, and keep them running. See you there!

Less than an month now! Snow Snow go away come back another day, sometime in November. Looks like were going to have a good turnout for the event. Hopefully no one purchased snow tires for their car, we've got to think positive now. See you all there.

Good list of participants, but we still have room for more. Hotel cut off for discount rate is the 28th of March, so we have two days to go. I'm told that we should have good weather and spring will come to Corning. I didn't hear that from the darn Groundhog! Don't miss out on the chance to meet your fellow Durantonians. You can also fly into Corning/Elmira New York airport. See you all there.

The East Coast Chapter encompasses any state East of the Mississippi. Since this meet is being held in the Northeast, I would expect to see many more in attendance than we have registered so far. What about you New Englanders? It's real close for you. Remember if I can travel all the way from sunny Florida to one of these events, you can too. We even have several Michiganders or what ever they call themselves heading our way. Aren't you ready for a Spring trip!

BTT. I hope all of you have had a chance to get into the garage and start checking out the car. I'm still feeling good about the weather changing to be a nice Spring in New York. We have a couple of weeks to go.

I CANNOT WAIT TO GO...I MAY EVEN GO A DAY EARLY....MY NEW STAR TOURING IS ARRIVING ANY DAY NOW....TWO EXCITING EVENTS IN THE SAME MONTH..OH BOY !!

Where Are You From? pa.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes...1929 DURANT 60 AND 1924 STAR TOURING

Just got the list of reservations from the hotel. we have about 20 people so far registered at the hotel. Attendance is a bit disappointing for the entire East coast area. Hotel advised that as long as they have the rooms available they will honor the discounted rate so lets see if we can't get a few more to show up. What are you waiting for? If your car is not restored so what, bring it if you want to on the trailer. If you don't want to tow it, then fly in to the Corning/Elmira Regional Airport. Several airlines cater to that area, including the discount airline Allegiant. For those of you in New England, it's a 4 or 5 hour drive depending on where you are coming from. By then the weather should be much nicer and a great chance to get the cars running for the upcoming Summer months.

Only days away now! Looks like good weather for Thursday and Friday in the mid to upper 60's but looks like a bit chilly for this Southern boy on Saturday. If you bring a car, make sure you pack the lap blankets. Might get a bit nippy cruising up to Hammondsport. But I think the restaurant is known for it's seafood so maybe a good hot cup of chowder will warm you all up. I'll be arriving on Thursday in the morning and will have a meet program with contact numbers and itinarary. Not to late to show up, maybe you can sweet talk the hotel into the discount rate.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65

The Durant Motors Automobile Club