Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fitting a New Carburetor- Zenith.

I am working on fitting my 13922 Zenith carb to my '24 Star and wondered if anyone else has done this- just wanted to see how someone else has rigged it up?

The accelerator rod gets fairly tight in behind the carb and in front of the valve covers.

Thanks- any input or images would be appreciated,
Jim

Where Are You From? Illinois

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1924 Roadster

Re: Fitting a New Carburetor- Zenith.

just bolted a zenith 14544 to mine last night and know what you are talking about. i plan on making new linkage come off the outside of the carb. am after getting this car started most inportant right now though. hasen't been running in 20 years. was my stepdads.

Where Are You From? spokane washington

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star model m

Jim,

I set mine up in a couple of different ways. Currently it has the manual throttle on the left and the foot throttle and chock on the right side with the front of the carb facing the firewall. I've use the reverse as well, either will work, but at the time I want the manual throttle toward me.

Rick

Rick,
You are speaking my language- can we exhange emails? I have a few specific questions that, I think, you've already answered for your car. I listed my email below.

Thanks,
Jim
email- anteekguy97@aol.com

Where Are You From? Oswego, IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star Roadster

Thanks Jeff- once you get it done- please post pics how you did it- and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star Roadster

This is what i came up with. works good.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 star model m

Jeff,
Great pics- those are very helpful! Did you make the new accelerator pedal rod yourself? Looks good.

Thanks and when I rig mine up- I'll post pics as well.

Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? '24 Star

Just looking at getting a new Zenith for my car. Looking at a 14544.

I am just in the process of putting the motor back together at present. It's had a few things done to it, after reading some of Lance's hints on this forum.

Is this model the most suitable for a W5 that's had a couple of things done to it?

The information in the Technical pages on this site says the 14544 has 2 3/8" bolt spacings, but sites like autotestsys.com say that this model has 2 5/16" centres.

Can someone confirm that the 14544 does have 2 3/8" centres. Also where is the best place to buy from. I was talking to Frank just before Christmas and he advised that he no longer handles them.

Thanks
Shane

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby Tourer

Hi All......

A good source for the Zenith carbs is Automotive Test Systems they are located in the Pacific North West.

They can be found at this web site:

http://www.autotestsys.com/

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? some

got mine from auto test systems like frank suggested and fast shipping and good price. they are correct on the bolt spacing however they use 1/4 bolts not 5/16 so it bolts right up. the only problem is the inside shaft is to long and had to cut it down and i couldn't get my linkage to work inbetween the carb and valve covers so made new to go on the outside. pics are on this post earlier.

jeff

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 star model m touring

Hi Shane,

I just got today a new 14544 from Automotive Test Systems. The spacing is 2-5/16", but the bolts are 1/4" instead of 5/16" on the original carb that I am replacing. Even though I haven't installed it yet, it will surely fit because of the smaller bolts or otherwise I might have to slightly elongate the manifold holes with A Dremel.

Good prompt service from Automotive Test Systems.

CHEERS!

Claude Lavoie

Where Are You From? Iroquois, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 D-60

Thanks for the assistance.

Cheers
Shane

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby Tourer

The Durant Motors Automobile Club